Medical Negligence Compensation Awarded To 36 Year Old Lady

A successful, thirty six year old scientist, who suffered a brain injury, leaving her with permanent brain damage, was awarded medical negligence compensation for her suffering. The young and ambitious scientist, currently has to suffer with left brain damage, after she was forced to wait almost two hours for an ambulance to come to her aid. Although she has been compensated for her ailment, this does not reverse what has occurred.


In 2007, the young lady collapsed in her home. Her boyfriend, who was present at the time that the incident occurred, called emergency services to be dispatched to their residence. The scientists boyfriend reported to emergency services that the young lady was unconscious and her breathing was abnormal. The ladies lips started to turn blue.

However, instead of an ambulance immediately being dispatched to the ladies home, the emergency services identified the home that the incidence occurred in as being red-flagged. Therefore, the crew was forced to wait 100m away from the residence, until they could be given a police escort. Unfortunately, at the time that the incidence was occurring, there were no police officers that were available in the area.

The ambulance kept their distance from the residence, despite the fact that two additional 999 calls were made. The medical team, had no other choice but to wait, until the police could be present, allowing them to help the young scientist. By the time that the paramedics were able to reach the scientist, an immense amount of damage had already been done.

The thirty six year old intelligent young woman’s brain was starved of oxygen, which resulted in permanent brain damage. She also suffered with cardiac arrest for five minutes, prior to the ambulance arriving at her residence. Suffering from cardiac arrest, ended up leaving the young woman with confusion, chronic amnesia, along with disorientation. As a result of being forced to wait for emergency services, the young woman will never be able to engage in the working environment that she enjoyed.

She will require twenty four hours of care, for the remainder of her life. The ambulance crew that was dispatched to the young scientists home, offered their apologies for the delay. Due to the shortcomings of the emergency response team, the scientist will receive annual compensation. The mother of the young scientist is distraught by the

A woman, 86 years old and very frail with multiple health problems, had been living with her husband of 65 years in her son’s home in a town in Gloucestershire to convalesce after a short illness when she was admitted to the local hospital in March of last year for observation after she bruised her elbow. She was moved to a ward in the hospital that opens to accommodate more people during the winter but was not seen by a doctor until three days after her admittance.

The ward had been opened on quick notice due to increased demand but there were shortages of doctors and nurses and care was taken over by consultants. The ward was staffed by two qualified and two health care assistants but was funded for a level of three each. According to the nurse director, it was very difficult to keep up with staffing levels and so it was possible that knowledge of the woman and her condition were not known.
In addition, when the woman arrived, the procedures for care had yet been established and did not see a doctor until after she contracted Norovirus and pneumonia from the hospital. However, a staff member at the ward emphasized that someone was on the ward every day and there was a process in place but somehow that process was not followed with regard to the woman. Later she was transferred to another ward where her symptoms began to improve.

About three week later, her diarrhea returned and doctors determined that she was not likely to recover so they transferred her to a program that would effectively not resuscitate her. Often this is done without the patient’s knowledge and, consequently, the hospital no longer uses this program. The doctor who initially saw the woman felt that clearly something had gone wrong in the system. The woman never did recover and the family agreed to end of life care.

The solicitor representing the family has said that they are having a hard time coming to terms that she entered the hospital with a bruised elbow and died as a result of the chaos that seemed to be prevalent in the ward in which she had first been admitted. The family is looking into legal action against the hospital which has been working with the family over the past year to discuss their concerns, answer questions and determine how they can make improvements.

She stated that her daughter was ambitious and employed in a career that she enjoyed, now, due to the negligence of the emergency response team and police officers within the area, her daughter will never be able to live a normal life.