Boy With Meningitis Dies After Severe Medical Negligence

The parents of a young child who died from meningitis four days after he was sent home from the hospital in a case of severe medical negligence  believe that a valuable lesson needs to be learned from their son’s death.


The child was a mere eleven months old when Trafford General Hospital discharged him despite the fact that he was demonstrating classic signs of the disease. He was running a temperature of almost 39C and was slipping in and out of consciousness, as well as shivering, when his parents initially brought him to the hospital in 2009. Upon discharge, he was given Paracetamol and sent home to Whalley Range, Manchester. His death occurred four days later. Chiefs at the hospital have recently agreed to an out of court settlement once the family filed a negligence claim in court. In a statement, the youngster’s mother stated that family had placed their trust in the hospital’s staff, but were horribly let down, which is something that the family must live with for the rest of their lives.

Similarly, the child’s father stated that the young boy was the family’s only son and can never be replaced. While they are still grieving their loss, the family hopes that by sharing their story, they can assist in raising awareness about meningitis, its symptoms, and its effects.

Medical experts discovered evidence that, had staff discovered his condition earlier, then the child could have made a full recovery if the appropriate tests had been run. Liability has been admitted by Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, who runs the hospital.

Lawyers who specialise in medical malpractice have secured a five figure settlement claim on behalf of the family, who lost their only son. The family plans to use the money to assist them in overcoming the psychological trauma that they’ve suffered. One lawyer representing the family called the case “tragic”, but believes that the young child’s death could have been avoided if medical staff had not made the errors they did.

Speaking on behalf of Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, a spokeswoman admitted liability in the case, but also defended the hospital stating that the case occurred five years ago when the hospital was under the guidance of Trafford Healthcare NHS Trust. Trafford General Hospital was acquired by Trafford Healthcare in April of 2012. The hospital spokeswoman extended her condolences to the family on the loss of their child and wished them well for the future.