All You Need to Know about Cauda Equina Syndrome Medical Negligence Claims
If you are reading this, then you either suffer from Cauda Equina Syndrome or believe you may have this condition. And, in turn, feel that you may have a valid medical negligence case against your hospital or surgeon or medical specialists. We commend you for coming this far with your investigation.
But, let us not assume that you know exactly what this syndrome entails. While we are sure you have scoured the Internet for all the information you could find, we would like to make your job easier by going through the salient points surrounding this syndrome.
What Is Cauda Equina Syndrome?
Very simply, CES (Cauda Equina Syndrome) is diagnosed when the spinal canal nerves have been severely compromised. While there are many causes of CES, there is one very pertinent factor that most doctors fail to realise or attend to. Without immediate and emergency treatment, the future ramifications can be life threatening and moreover, debilitating to the sufferer.
Interestingly enough, the syndrome derived its named from the term “caudal equine”, which means “tail of horse”. The analogy refers to the spinal cord nerves roots that are positioned at the very end of spinal cord, which in fact, approximate a horse’s tail.
Cauda Equina Syndrome can affect anyone, no matter their age, and often times the symptoms can lead them to believing they have a ‘slipped disc’ or a ‘pinched nerve’.
The investigation that should be undertaken to confirm whether it is in fact CES or perhaps another syndrome or disease, which could be just as serious, is a series of tests, which most times will mean a rectal examination to see whether there is any sensory loss. An MRI scan is a good way to go initially.
We are not here to put the fear of God into you, but rather to educate you on all the ins and outs of Cauda Equina Syndrome. The reason being is so that you can decide whether it is this syndrome that you are afflicted with or perhaps another and, of course whether you have been a victim of medical malpractice.
The end result of this synopsis is to ascertain whether you need legal assistance and whether it is worth it to take your case further, against the medical professionals that may have misdiagnosed, or not diagnosed at all, your current symptoms.
Calculate compensation For Cauda Equina Syndrome Negligence Cases.
|Category||Cauda Equina Syndrome||Min Amount Awarded||Maximum Amount Awarded|
|Cauda Equina Syndrome||£400,000||£2 Million* Or More|
(Please note all figures are estimates and should not be taken as final figures )
What Causes Cauda Equina Syndrome?
The first port of call is, knowing what can cause this crippling condition. From there, one can ascertain whether you have the symptoms that showcase themselves once afflicted.
While plenty, the main causes of this syndrome, but not limited to, are:
- Infectious and inflammatory circumstances, such as disease or viruses, which can attack the spinal column and surrounding areas/li>
- Spinal tumours, growths that form and develop within the canals or bones of the spine
- Trauma related injuries or accidents, such as car accidents and other non-vehicle related mishaps
- Failure to misdiagnose, leading to either fatal or disabling results
- Spinal Stenosis, which is the irregular narrowing of spinal cord
- Disk Herniation, which is similar to a pinched nerve i.e. A disc in the vertebrae is compressed and causes extreme pain and weakening
- It is crucial to understand, as well, that each of these causes has their own set of symptoms and can manifest in your body in ways that may make you think you have something completely different to the CES.
But, we believe here at our Law Firm, that erring on the side of caution always results in favourable outcomes.
Cauda Equina Syndrome Claims Against the NHS Or Hospital
If you have suffered cauda equina syndrome due to a mistake by a surgeon or hospital get free legal advice form a specialist cauda equina syndrome medical negligence solicitor today contact us for more information. Their is a 3 year time limit in order to make a compensation claim however many UK solicitors prefer to have 12 months left on the claim limit as it gives them more time to investigate and gather evidence.
What Are The Symptoms of Cauda Equina Syndrome?
Typical symptoms to look out for, which could mean you have this syndrome, are:
- A weakness or numbness in the legs or even just one leg
- A numbness in the perennial area, the area between your coccyx and pubic symphysis
- Sexual debilitation, which would be affected by the perennial area being compromised
- Lower back pain as well as chronic and expanding pain in the back and surrounding areas
- Bladder and/or bowel malfunctioningNote, as well, that not all of these symptoms may occur in your particular case, or at least, they may not occur off the cuff. Many symptoms only reveal themselves way after an elongated time period, causing increasingly further pain and suffering. This is why, it is vital that early diagnosis and treatment be forthcoming.
As this syndrome is relatively new, in terms of other syndromes, it must be taken into account that other symptoms and results may be exposed as time goes on. It is because of early legal intervention that we hope to minimise these symptoms.
Why Is Cauda Equina Syndrome a Concern for us?
Due to misdiagnosis and oftentimes failure to treat in an appropriate and timorous manner, we find that many sufferers go on to lead very uncomfortable lives, and moreover not very long lives.
If you find that you may be victim to such malpractice, then we can be of great assistance to you.
What Most Cauda Equina Syndrome Experts Agree Should Happen?
To understand whether you, in fact, do have a valid claim against the medical professionals, you must understand what should happen as soon as diagnosis has been delivered.
Essentially, if correctly diagnosed, sufferers of the Cauda Equina Syndrome should be admitted into hospital with the view to operating within at least 48 hours. The reason for this is so that you have the best chances of recovering and not causing further damage and suffering if seen too quickly. The surgery entails lumbar decompression, which simply means that the pressure exerted onto the nerves, which have become compressed, are relieved by making more space for the said nerves.
With our many years of experience, and successful claim payouts, we can promise you a thorough investigation and positive outcome. We have extremely adept Spinal Injury Legal Solicitors that will take you through the process step by step, ensuring you are always well informed as the case pans out.
How to Claim Compensation for a Cauda Equina Syndrome medical negligence case?
So, you are convinced their has been negligence in some manner, either by a misdiagnosis or a too-late surgery schedule. Contact our clinical negligence solicitors today for free advice.
Well, what to do now, you ask?
First and foremost, it is vital that you keep all records pertaining to your condition, which includes:
- First contacts and appointments made with the medical professionals (included in here, whether you were seen in a timorous manner, following your account of symptoms to the professional involved)
- Any form of paperwork relating to a diagnosis, tests and medication offered
- Timeline’s on your first appointment and the further meetings thereafter with any and all medical specialists and doctors
- Should you find that you do not have proper or accurate accounts and records as above, we urge you to make a real effort to gather these, and with urgency in mind.
Once you have gathered all this, please make contact with our offices and specifically ask to speak to or see one of our Spinal Injury Attorneys. We’ll then schedule an urgent meeting, given the circumstances and emergency, as soon as possible.After an in-depth interview, we’ll ascertain whether your case is valid and worthy of our intervention. It is important to know that not all cases will be subject to a malpractice claim.We have extensive knowledge of Cauda Equina Syndrome and can promise you that we’ll do our utmost to ensure you are given justice where justice is due.Because the symptoms of Cauda Equina Syndrome (CES) can be similar to many other medical issues and diseases, it is important for us to complete a comprehensive analysis of your situation. No stone will go unturned in our examination and this is for your own good as well as ours.As much as you want a positive ending, so do we want a successful result for you, and ensuring that we have all the facts and figures in front of us, will mean a truly complete and absolute case. Our efforts are always most exhaustive to say the least. We like to keep our cases as tight as a drum, covering all the possible angles that could sway the case for or against you.As this syndrome and the ramifications of not applying an emergency diagnosis, as well as heading to surgery, are quickly becoming a very common occurrence, the medical specialists are getting wise to legal involvement. While taking nothing away from the medical fraternity, we pride ourselves on knowing what comebacks we can expect, once we have laid our case out to them.Remember, we are dealing with, most times, an entire hospital of staff and directors. We need to have all our balls in a straight line before we even begin to attack and put forward a claim.
Your Next Step with Us
Should you wish to take up our legal services for your Cauda Equina Syndrome case, please contact our offices today and you will be directed to one of our expert solicitors.