Medical And Clinical Negligence Claims In Burnley, Lancashire
If you’re looking for medical negligence solicitors in Burnley, then this guide might prove useful. It’ll provide information on how to choose the best personal injury lawyer to help you make your claim. Choosing the right one could be the difference between winning or losing the case or could affect how much compensation is awarded.
Our panel of expert medical negligence solicitors could help you with your claim today so, if you’re ready to discuss your case, please give us a call on 0800 652 3087 and speak with a specialist advisor.
If you want to know more about choosing a medical negligence lawyer, then please continue reading this handy guide.
Choose A Section
- How To You Could Find The Right Solicitor For A Clinical Negligence Claim
- Don’t Limit Yourself To Solicitors In Your Area
- Have A Medical Assessment By Our Panel Of Experts Covering Burnley, Lancashire
- Do Look At Reviews Of Solicitors
- Are There Different Types Of Medical Negligence Claims We Handle?
- Claim For Negligence In Cancer Treatment
- Claim For Negligence In Surgery
- Claim For Negligence Caused By A Hospital
- Claim For Negligent GP Treatment
- Claim For Birth Injuries Or Negligent Pregnancy Care
- Claim For Negligence Or Neglect In Care Homes
- Claim For Negligence By Your Dentist
- Recorded Instances Of NHS Clinical Negligence Claims In Burnley
- Hospitals In Burnley, Lancashire
- No Win No Fee Burnley Medical Negligence Claims
- Start Your Claim Today
- Learn More
How To You Could Find The Right Solicitor For A Clinical Negligence Claim
Before choosing a medical negligence solicitor, we should probably explain what constitutes clinical or medical negligence. A medical negligence solicitor will probably want to confirm that:
- You suffered an injury, became ill or your pre-existing condition was made worse following substandard care.
- The substandard care was performed by a medical professional such as a nurse, surgeon, doctor, dentist, care home worker, cosmetic surgeon or paediatrician.
If your claim meets both of those criteria, you could be eligible to make a claim.
In this guide we’ll provide some useful advice on how to pick the right solicitor to help with your claim and the types of negligence that can lead to a claim.
One thing you should be aware of is that there is a medical negligence claims time limit. If the negligent act against you happened more than 3 years ago then you won’t be able to claim (unless you only found out that you suffered recently). The 3-year time limit applies to all cases and means you should contact a personal injury solicitor as soon as you can following your injuries.
Don’t Limit Yourself To Solicitors In Your Area
You might think, “It’s best to use medical negligence solicitors in my area”, but that type of though really just limits your options. You don’t actually need to meet your solicitor face to face as everything is done over email, telephone or in the post. Therefore, you don’t need to worry about where the solicitor is located.
Instead, you should try and choose a solicitor who specialises in medical negligence cases, has examples of recent cases they can show you and offers a no win no fee service. This is true for all of our panel of medical negligence solicitors who can cover the Burnley area.
To ensure your claim doesn’t involve excessive travel, we have a panel of medical experts in the Burnley area. This is who we’ll send you to if you require and medical assessment as part of your claim. We’ll provide details in the next section of the guide.
Have A Medical Assessment By Our Panel Of Experts Covering Burnley, Lancashire
As mentioned in the last section, we have a panel of experts in the Burnley area who can undertake your medical assessment during your claim. Here are a few of those that you could be sent to:
Riaz Moosa Raza
The Consulting Rooms,
Burnley, BB10 2LF.
Burnley, BB11 1NN.
Do Look At Reviews Of Solicitors
While medical negligence solicitor’s reviews aren’t the only way of choosing a solicitor, they can act as a great starting point. You’ll find nuggets of information which will demonstrate whether clients felt they were kept up to date, were happy with the customer service and, fairly importantly, were happy with the amount of compensation they received.
Are There Different Types Of Medical Negligence Claims We Handle?
Our panel of expert medical negligence solicitors have handled most types of UK medical negligence claims over the years. We’ve listed some of the more common negligent acts which could lead to a personal injury claim over the coming sections.
Claim For Negligence In Cancer Treatment
Cancer is one of the most worrying conditions to be diagnosed by specialists but, in many cases, if it’s caught early, the chances of recovery have increased dramatically over recent years.
However, if a cancer specialist, GP or other medical professional fails to spot cancer at the earliest opportunity, a patient can suffer. The amount they suffer will vary depending on how aggressive the cancer is and how long a delay occurs before the diagnosis is made. In the worst cases though, the cancer may become inoperable.
NHS cancer misdiagnosis payouts vary depending on the impact the late or misdiagnosis caused. To discuss this further, please speak with one of our specially trained advisors.
Claim For Negligence In Surgery
Undergoing surgery requires you to put your faith in the surgeon who will operate on you and their team. If you’re harmed by a negligent surgeon, then you might be able to make a claim for any injuries sustained.
Examples of where a surgeon could be deemed negligent include:
- If you suffer complications because surgical clips fail post-surgery.
- When the surgical team leave foreign bodies inside of you (such as surgical instruments) which cause you to suffer.
- If you are in pain following surgery due to damage to unrelated internal organs.
- Or you suffered pain during surgery because the anaesthetist made a mistake with the dosage.
Claim For Negligence Caused By A Hospital
Suing a hospital for negligence could be possible if you’ve attended for treatment of a condition but suffered a new injury, illness or your condition was made worse because of any sort of negligent act.
There are a few reasons you might be able to claim including:
- Contracting MRSA symptoms which lead to subsequent illnesses because of poor hygiene.
- Suffering caused by any form of surgical mistake.
- An illness or suffering caused by the incorrect medication being prescribed.
- Or if your condition becomes worse because of a late or misdiagnosis.
Claim For Negligent GP Treatment
General Practitioner’s or GP’s are often the first line of support many patients turn to when they realise that they’ve become ill. They can diagnose basic conditions where no treatment is required up to life-threatening illnesses which require immediate specialist intervention.
If they fail to spot an illness though, which means the patient suffers, then a claim for compensation could be an option.
Claim For Birth Injuries Or Negligent Pregnancy Care
Become a parent should be one of the happiest and exciting times of your life in most circumstances. The life of the new baby, and its mother, are precious and that’s why hospital staff including midwives, doctors and paediatricians are all trained in the using the correct techniques to ensure the safe delivery of the new-born baby.
Therefore, any mistake, error or deviation from the procedures which cause an injury to either mother or baby could lead to a compensation claim.
Some types of birth injuries include:
- Fissures or tears.
- Bruising caused by forceps.
- Asphyxiation causing conditions like Cerebral Palsy.
- Fracture bones or joint damage.
Claim For Negligence Or Neglect In Care Homes
When you have to place a loved one into a care home it can be a daunting experience. You have to put complete faith in the care home staff that they will protect and care for your loved one and ensure they follow the recommended guidelines to ensure they remain safe and comfortable during their stay.
If they breach their duty of care towards the patient, you could make a claim for damages on their behalf (if they’re unable to claim themselves).
Some reasons for claims include:
- The patient suffering because medication was not dispensed on time due to understaffing in nursing homes.
- If the patient isn’t moved regularly enough which causes them to suffer pressure sores.
- Any type of injury caused by care home abuse.
- Or injuries sustained because of an incorrect moving or lifting technique.
Claim For Negligence By Your Dentist
A dentist has a duty of care towards their patients to ensure they are offered the correct treatment and that it is carried out in as safe a way as possible. When a dentist is negligent, whether it be a mistake or deliberately failing to follow procedures, a medical negligence claim could be started.
Some examples of problems caused by negligence at a Dentist’s include:
- When other teeth, gums or nerves are damaged during surgery.
- If you feel excessive pain during a procedure because the anaesthetic was inadequate.
- You suffer pain following surgery that wasn’t necessary.
- Or if your gums or wounds become infected due to poor hygiene or aftercare.
Recorded Instances Of NHS Clinical Negligence Claims In Burnley
Here are some statistics from the NHS trusts that operates in the Burnley area. They include the compensation amounts paid during the 2017-18 period. (Source).
|Claims in 2017/2018
|Number of Incidents 2017/2018
|East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust
|Lancashire Care NHS Foundation Trust
|Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Hospitals In Burnley, Lancashire
For your information, we’ve provided a list of some of the hospitals in and around the Burnley area:
- Burnley General Teaching Hospital.
- Pendle Community Hospital.
- Accrington Victoria Community Hospital.
- BMI Gisburne Park Hospital.
Our panel of medical negligence solicitors can cover the Burnley area so could help with any claim for negligence or clinical negligence claims at Burnley General Hospital or any of the others listed here.
No Win No Fee Burnley Medical Negligence Claims
To help clients deal with the financial burden of making a medical negligence claim, many medical lawyers offer a no win no fee service.
They are the most risk-free way of claiming because:
- You don’t have to find any funds up front to pay the solicitor, they will begin your claim without being paid.
- If they lose the case, you don’t have to pay them anything for their time, work or other services.
- And, if they win, you won’t need to pay them their success fee directly. It is taken straight from your compensation and the rest is sent to you.
Start Your Claim Today
To help you further, we’ve linked to more useful resources which you might find useful.
Burnley General Teaching Hospital – the website of the main NHS hospital in the Burnley area.
Lancashire Care – Information from the NHS foundation trust offering services in the Burnley area.
Find a Dentist – A useful website from the NHS where you can search for local dental services.
Misdiagnosed Cancer Claims – This guide provides a more detailed look at cancer misdiagnosis claims.
Medical Negligence Claims Calculator – A guide which shows how much compensation could be paid for medical negligence cases.