Becoming the victim of clinical negligence can be a traumatic experience. There are few people we are encouraged to trust more than those who are responsible for caring for our health. Despite the best efforts of both NHS and private healthcare professionals, negligence can and does occur. When negligence causes undue harm to a patient, medical negligence solicitors in Derbyshire may be able to help them make a claim.
If you need help making a negligence claim, you can to speak to one of our advisors on 0800 652 3087. We operate a claims service that can match you to one of our panel of medical negligence solicitors who are not based in Derbyshire but can cover the Derbyshire area, and will be able to help you pursue a claim for medical negligence.
Choose A Section:
- How You Could Pick A Solicitor For A Medical Negligence Claim In Derbyshire
- Should I Claim With Medical Negligence Solicitors In Derbyshire?
- Should I Consult Reviews Of Clinical Negligence Solicitors?
- A Doctor From Our Specialist Panel Could Conduct Your Medical Exam
- Examples Of Clinical And Medical Negligence You Could Claim For
- Surgical Negligence Compensation Claims
- Childbirth Injury Claims
- Derbyshire Hospital Negligence Claims
- Nursing Home Negligence Cases
- Cancer Misdiagnosis Claims
- General Practice Clinical Claims
- Dentist Negligence
- NHS Derbyshire Trust Claims Statistics
- Hospitals In Derbyshire
- No Win No Fee Clinical Negligence Cases
- Start Your Claim
- Derbyshire County NHS Services And Further Resources
How You Could Pick A Solicitor For A Medical Negligence Claim In Derbyshire
If you have never had to deal with a personal injury solicitor before, you might be finding the prospect of starting a search for one quite daunting. Luckily, we have a few tips, that could simplify this task, such as:
- Locate a good online review website that covers legal firms, and compare reviews.
- Try social networking sites, to reach out to your social connections for recommendations.
- Speak to your friends, members of your family or co-workers and ask for suggestions of personal injury solicitors who they may have worked with.
These are all good starting points, but we could offer you a simpler way to get the legal help that you need. If you speak to one of our claim advisors, they can firstly provide you with critical information regarding the three year time limit. They will also explain how our panel of expert medical negligence solicitors who are not based in Deryshire, but could easily cover the area can process your claim for you.
Should I Claim With Medical Negligence Solicitors In Derbyshire?
There are many factors that you will need to evaluate, in order to make a sensible choice of legal firms to manage your injury claim for you. However, when choosing a negligence solicitor, location is not an important factor that needs to be taken into consideration. A far more important point is the expertise the legal firm can bring to bear, and the effect this will have on the probability of your claim being successful. Therefore, a sensible answer to the question, is there any compelling reason to use medical negligence solicitors in my area? Is no, not unless they also happen to be the most skilled and experienced firm in cases similar to yours. One of the best pieces of advice we can give you here at Medical Negligence Assist is to base your choice on capability, not on location.
Should I Consult Reviews Of Clinical Negligence Solicitors?
Comparing medical negligence solicitor reviews could be a good, logical first step on the road to locating the perfect legal firm to handle your medical negligence compensation claim for you. Reviews provide you with a chance to evaluate the experience that another claimant had with a solicitor, and decide whether they would also be able to help you. Be sure to check each review for relevance though, and beware of reviews that don’t seem to give many actual facts, or don’t quite ring true.
Of course, comparing reviews is only part of the process, you might want to contact any solicitors you shortlist, to check whether they are the right fit for your claim.
A Doctor From Our Specialist Panel Could Conduct Your Medical Exam
If you are considering making a personal injury claim, the solicitor that you decide to use, will need to know about the incident that caused you harm, and also the extent of your injuries, so that they can work out how much compensation to aim for. We work with a panel of doctors who are located near the area of Derbyshire, who will be able to perform your impartial assessment close to where you live. Please see our list below;
|David Pontefract||Wellbeing Clinic,||Derby||DE1 1UR|
|1 Wentworth House,|
|Irfan Akhtar||Premier Inn||Derby||DE1 2AY|
|Derby City Centre Riverlights, Morledge|
|Khaled El-Namasy||The Natural Health Clinic||Derby||DE1 2HH|
|24 Mount Street|
(*indicates less then 5)
If you are interested in using our panel of medical negligence solicitors,or are wanting to utilise our panel of doctors, please contact one of our impartial advisers using the below information, or fill in our claim form.
Examples Of Clinical And Medical Negligence You Could Claim For
There are many types of medical/clinical negligence. However, negligence alone is not generally reason enough for a medical negligence solicitor to process a claim. The patient will have to have suffered physical harm to be eligible to claim. For example:
- Accidents caused by negligence at a hospital that cause harm to an individual.
- A mistake is made during an operation, and this leads to the patient being injured.
- Mistakes made during the birthing process, that cause harm to the mother or baby.
- A dentist injures a patient while carrying out a dental procedure.
- Negligence at a nursing home results in a resident being harmed.
- A GP makes a mistake that harms a patient’s health.
- A late or misdiagnosis causes a cancer patient’s medical condition to worsen.
Surgical Negligence Compensation Claims
As we all know, all surgeries, whether elective or cosmetic come with risks. However, all surgical staff are trained to a high standard which means that harm caused by negligence should not occur. A patient undergoing an operation will be put at additional risk if negligence occurs during the procedure, examples of such can be found below:
- An anaesthetist applies the wrong amount of anaesthetic, and this causes the patient to suffer an adverse reaction or further unnecessary pain.
- After the operation, the patient comes down with an infection, due to substandard aftercare.
- A surgical error on the part of the doctor performing the procedure resulting in the unnecessary damage to healthy organs (wrong-sited surgery).
As we can see, negligence during or after an operation can lead to the patient suffering some form of harm. In these cases, it could be possible for the patient to make a surgical negligence compensation.
Childbirth Injury Claims
Childbirth can be a traumatic experience, that always carries a risk of injury. However, the negligent actions of staff can also lead to a raised level of risk which in turn causes unnecessary and undue harm to mother, baby or both, and result in injuries such as:
- Possible ways the baby could be injured:
- Medical conditions such as Cerebral Palsy due to Hypoxia.
- Death in the most extreme of cases.
- Bone fractures.
- Injuries to the mother could include:
- Internal damage and preventable 4th degree tears.
- Death in the most extreme of cases.
- Bone fractures.
- Undiagnosed Pre-Eclampsia
When it can be proven that a mother or her baby have been harmed due to negligence on the part of the midwife, doctor or an attending nurse, it could be possible for childbirth injury claims to be made.
Derbyshire Hospital Negligence Claims
A hospital is supposed to be a safe place, where a patient receives treatment that will improve their health or treat an injury. Generally, this statement is true, but not always. A person visiting or staying in a hospital, is at the risk of harm due to negligence, when doctors, nurses, specialists, or any member of the hospital staff makes a mistake, for example:
- Tests such as an MRI or X-Ray could result in a patient becoming ill due to being administered a harmful level of a dangerous chemical, or radiation.
- Medications are prescribed negligently, and this causes the patient to suffer an adverse reaction.
- Poor hygiene standards resulting in the contraction and spreading of MRSA.
In cases such as these, where negligence clearly resulted in a patient being harmed in some way, a medical negligence lawyer could be able to process a claim for the injured party.
Nursing Home Negligence Cases
All nursing or care homes in the UK, whether private or state-operated, are governed by a large amount of rules and regulations, aimed at ensuring that residents are provided with an adequate, safe level of care. When that level of care drops due to some kind of neglect, this could either directly or indirectly harm one of the residents. In nursing home negligence cases such as these, if proven,it could be possible for a claim to be made. Examples of such negligence can be seen here. In some circumstances, the resident may be too infirm to make their own claim, and it could be possible for a litigation friend to act on their behalf.
Cancer Misdiagnosis Claims
Cancer patients often receive aggressive treatments such as radiotherapy or chemotherapy, to give them the best chance of making a recovery from the illness. When a mistake is made by the doctor caring for the patient, and the cancer is wrongfully diagnosed, or a late diagnosis is made, this can lead to a delay in treatment, and a worsening of the patient’s condition, or even in extreme examples, their death. Therefore, when cancer negligence such as this occurs, a personal injury solicitor could be able to help the injured party to make a claim.
General Practice Clinical Claims
Our GP has comprehensive procedures that they need to follow, in order to to ensure that every patient receives the treatment they need, when they need it, and this is:
- The initial diagnosis of an illness/injury.
- For minor ailments, provide treatment, including prescribing medication.
- For more serious ailments, referring the patient on for treatment with another specialist,
Your GP has the same duty of care towards their patients as any other medical professional. A breakdown in the diagnosis, treatment and referral process can leave a patient without treatment, or in the least case example, cause a delay in treatment, that could harm the patient’s health. If negligence can be proven, it could be possible that the patient has a valid basis for a claim.
A dentist and the staff at a dental practice, have to exercise a duty of care towards their patients, in the same way that any medical professional has to. When this duty of care is not met, and negligence occurs, it can cause injuries such as:
- Permanent disfigurement.
- A fractured jaw.
- Infections of the gums and damage to otherwise healthy teeth.
Injuries such as these (and others), when caused by negligence, could mean that the patient is able to make a claim for private or NHS dentist negligence.
NHS Derbyshire Trust Claims Statistics
The table below shows stats related to NHS negligence in Derbyshire:
|Healthcare Provider||Claims Received (2017/18)||Number of Incidents (2017/18)||Damages (£)|
|Derby Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust||70||9||9,412,164|
|Derbyshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust||*||*||318,000|
Data for this table was taken from the following online resource:
Hospitals In Derbyshire
- Royal Derby Hospital
- Chesterfield Royal Hospital
- Whitworth Hospital
No Win No Fee Clinical Negligence Cases
Our panel of medical negligence solicitors offer a No Win No Fee agreement to all victims of medical negligence. This means that in the unfortunate event that your claim is unsuccessful, you will not need to pay the fees of your solicitor. As mentioned above in this guide, our panel of medical negligence solicitors are not based in Derbyshire, but can cover cover the area with ease. If you would like to speak to our legal advisors about making a making a claim with our panel of solicitors on a No Win No Fee basis contact us today.
Start Your Claim
When it comes to medical malpractice, here in the UK, we have a right to make a claim for the undue harm we have been caused. To find out how we at Medical Negligence Assist can help you along the way, please speak to one of our claim advisors on 0800 652 3087 today.
Derbyshire County NHS Services And Further Resources
These external pages might be useful:
Uttoxeter Rd, Derby, DE22 3NE
Opening hours: 8am to 10pm, 7 days a week.
You can also read these additional guides:
Written by Mac.
Edited by Charlotte.