If you’re looking for medical negligence solicitors in Dundee, then you’ve arrived at the right place. This guide is going to provide information on what to look for when choosing a solicitor and show why you don’t have to choose a local solicitor to take on your claim.
Our panel of medical negligence solicitors are not based in Dundee but can cover the area meaning they could help you begin a claim. Furthermore, they operate on a no win no fee basis for any claim they take on. If you would like to discuss making a claim today, why not call our specialist advisors on 0800 652 3087 and let us assess your claim with you.
Alternatively, if you want to know more about how to make a personal injury claim for medical negligence, please carry on reading this helpful guide.
Choose A Section
- Selecting A Solicitor For Medical Negligence Claims In Dundee
- Should I Search For A Solicitor Based In Dundee?
- Injuries Could Be Assessed Via Our Panel Of Doctors
- Client Testimonials Could Be Helpful When Choosing A Solicitor
- Examples Of Medical Negligence Claims In Dundee
- Dentist Malpractice Or Negligence
- Dundee Care Home Negligence
- Surgical Negligence In Tayside Hospitals
- Birth Or Pregnancy Injuries
- Tayside Hospital Medical Negligence
- Clinical Negligence Related To Cancers
- Scottish GP Negligence
- Data Related To Negligence Claims Made Against NHS Tayside
- Making A No Win No Fee Claim
- Dundee Hospitals
- Talk To Us
- Helpful Links
Selecting A Solicitor For Medical Negligence Claims In Dundee
When picking a personal injury solicitor to help you begin a claim, you might:
- Browse medical negligence solicitors’ reviews.
- Ask friends for recommendations.
- Or seek advice via social media, colleagues or family members.
This can sometimes work and might provide you with the right solicitor to help you claim but this guide will provide you with more information about what to look for so that you’re not just relying on a recommendation.
You might prefer to speak with one of our medical negligence experts and let them do the work of choosing the best personal injury lawyer for you, but before you start looking for a solicitor, you’ll need to be able to demonstrate that:
- You received negligent treatment from a medical professional; and
- The treatment led you to suffer an injury, illness or an existing condition was made worse; and
- The treatment which caused your injury was carried out within the medical negligence claims time limit period of 3 years. (There are some exceptions to this time limit, so please contact us to discuss if further).
If you can show all of the above, then there’s a chance you could seek compensation for any suffering caused. This can be true in the case of medical treatment or cosmetic surgery carried out by the NHS or privately.
Should I Search For A Solicitor Based In Dundee?
A common misconception when making a compensation claim is “Should I look for medical negligence solicitors in my area”, when, in reality, there is no legal obligation for you to do so. This is because, if you don’t want to, there is no need for you to meet your solicitor face to face as all communication is carried out across the phone or email so the location of the solicitor you choose isn’t important.
What is important is that the solicitor specialises in medical and clinical negligence claims and has recent history of taking on and winning cases similar to yours.
Injuries Could Be Assessed Via Our Panel Of Doctors
We like to ensure that anyone we help with medical negligence claims in Dundee, doesn’t have to travel far for their required medical assessment as part of the claims process.
Therefore, we have a panel of doctors who could undertake the assessment locally. A sample of local specialists is listed below:
The Alba Clinic,
148 Princes Street,
Dundee, DD4 6DG.
Client Testimonials Could Be Helpful When Choosing A Solicitor
As mentioned earlier, some people like to read reviews when choosing any new product or service. In the case of medical negligence solicitors, reviews can be a good starting point, but you will probably want to speak with the solicitor directly too.
By speaking with the solicitor you can find out much more than a review will tell you such as how they expect to handle your case, how often they’ll provide you with updates and what level of compensation they hope to achieve for you.
Examples Of Medical Negligence Claims In Dundee
Now, we’re going to provide some examples of different types of medical negligence which could lead to a compensation claim. This list isn’t exhaustive however, so, if you can’t find an example similar to your own case, don’t worry. Give us a call and we’ll help you determine whether you have a good chance of winning or not.
Dentist Malpractice Or Negligence
A dentist and any other medical professional providing services in a dental practice has a duty of care towards their patients. This mean that they should try to ensure safety and well being of the patient wherever possible.
This can be achieved by following correct procedures, maintaining hygiene standards and using the correct and well-maintained dental equipment at all times. If they fail to do so and this leads to a patient suffering, then they could claim compensation for dental negligence.
- Damage to healthy gums, teeth or nerves during a procedure.
- Pain caused because a misdiagnosis led to unnecessary treatment.
- Any pain caused by anaesthetic dosage errors.
Dundee Care Home Negligence
Placing a loved one into a care home means that you will have to put a lot of faith into the care home staff and trust that they will provide the right level of care to ensure your loved one is as comfortable as they can be.
If the staff or management do anything which doesn’t follow the correct procedures and this leads to a resident suffering, then you may be able to claim compensation on their behalf if they’re unable to.
Examples of care home negligence claims might include:
- Claims for infections caused by pressure sores or bed sores because the resident was not moved regularly enough.
- Fractures caused where staff did not carry out the correct lifting techniques.
- Suffering caused by care home abuse.
- Illness or suffering caused because medicine wasn’t dispensed regularly enough.
Surgical Negligence In Tayside Hospitals
Tayside medical negligence claims can sometimes be made even if the surgeon explained any risks to you prior to treatment. If an injury is caused because a surgeon makes a mistake, chooses not to follow standard procedures or is negligent in any other way, then claiming compensation could be the next step.
Examples of surgical negligence include:
- Any pain or suffering caused because surgical equipment wasn’t removed from inside your body.
- Having to undergo remedial treatment because the post-op suturing wasn’t sufficient.
- Any pain caused if you woke up during surgery because of an anaesthetic mistake.
Birth Or Pregnancy Injuries
During pregnancy, childbirth or post-labour, if you or your baby are injured because of a health care providers negligent act or omission, you could sue the hospital for any injuries or suffering caused.
This could be because a midwife, nurse or doctor failed to follow the correct procedures. It could also be because they failed to spot a problem during childbirth or reacted poorly to a condition that they did spot. You might also be able to claim if you were left alone during labour for long periods of time and this led to complications.
Tayside Hospital Medical Negligence
The usual expectation, when attending a hospital for treatment, is that you’ll either get better or your condition will be stabilised or managed. You wouldn’t usually expect to be made worse or to suffer new injuries or illnesses. Unfortunately, it can happen though.
If you do suffer an injury or become ill while receiving treatment in hospital, then you could make a compensation claim for your suffering. Here are some examples of when that might be possible:
- If you suffer an illness because you contracted MRSA while in hospital.
- When you suffer any form of injury caused by surgical neglect.
- If you’re made ill by being given the wrong medication.
- Or if you suffer due to a delay in treatment because of a late or misdiagnosis.
Clinical Negligence Related To Cancers
Any delay in beginning cancer treatment can mean the patient suffers more because the cancer spreads. Some cancers can be treated relatively quickly if the condition is spotted early enough but if it’s spotted later, then it could be possible that a more aggressive or longer course of treatment needs to be administered leading to more suffering for the patient that could have been avoided.
Therefore, if the delay in treatment is caused because a medical specialist fails to diagnose the cancer when they could of or should have, then the patient or a loved one may be able to seek compensation for the additional suffering caused.
Scottish GP Negligence
GP’s are very skilled at being able to diagnose a multitude of different conditions. Their broad range of medical knowledge means that they will often diagnose, treat or refer to a specialist during the first appointment that the symptoms are discussed in.
However, if they fail to spot a problem, prescribe the wrong treatment, fail to refer to a specialist or diagnose the condition incorrectly, then a patient might suffer due to delay in receiving treatment.
Data Related To Negligence Claims Made Against NHS Tayside
In the table below, we’ve listed the number of NHS Tayside negligence claims that were made in the 2016-2017 period and the amount of compensation paid.
|Number of Payments
The data in the table comes from this NHS Scotland report. It’s important to note this table only shows the cost of Tayside medical negligence within the NHS and not any private healthcare providers in the area.
Making A No Win No Fee Claim
The main worry for many people considering medical negligence claims in Dundee, or anywhere across the country is the cost of using a medical negligence lawyer. This is why our panel of expert medical negligence solicitors offer a no win no fee service for any claim they help with.
This means that you:
- Don’t need to pay anything upfront for the claim to begin.
- Won’t have to pay anything at all if your solicitor is not successful.
- Do not have to find the funds to pay for your solicitor if they win as their success fee is deducted from your compensation automatically.
Our panel of medical negligence solicitors are not located in Dundee but can cover the area and therefore help with claims at any of these local hospitals:
- Ninewells Hospital.
- Kings Cross Hospital.
- Royal Victoria Hospital.
- Strathmartine Centre.
- Hawkhill Day Hospital.
- Maryfield House.
- Wallace Hospital.
- St Andrews Community Hospital.
Talk To Us
Having read this guide about medical negligence claims in Dundee, if you’d like to discuss a claim with us, you can get in touch by calling 0800 652 3087. Alternatively, you could fill in our online form so that we can call you back when it is convenient.
You’ve reached the end of this guide about choosing medical negligence solicitors in Dundee so we thought it would be useful to add some more guides and resources below.
Kings Cross Hospital
Dundee, DD3 8EA
Dundee Health & Social Care – Information on care and other social services offered in the Dundee area.
Tayside NHS – Information about services and news from Tayside NHS.
Cancer Negligence – A guide about when clinical negligence related to cancer claims can be made.
Misdiagnosis Claims – Information about why it might be possible to claim for misdiagnosis medical negligence.
Hospital Claims – This guide explains how you could make a medical negligence claim in Scotland for NHS negligence in a hospital.
Written by Brett.
Edited by Charlotte.