This guide has been designed to help those who may have suffered medical negligence in Wakefield. You may be considering using medical negligence solicitors in Wakefield to pursue your case however we may have an alternative for you. Below, you will read about different kinds of negligence that could occur, if healthcare standards are not maintained and how a person’s health could be affected. We also give some solid advice on how to begin choosing a good solicitor to handle your claim, as well as explain how our panel of expert medical negligence solicitors can cover the Wakefield area.
If you have any questions that this guide doesn’t answer, or don’t have time to find a solicitor using the methods we discuss below, you could give our team a call on 0800 652 3087. Our panel of medical negligence solicitors can cover the Wakefield area and can provide you with the help that you need, and if you have a valid case they will work exceptionally hard to get you the compensation you are eligible for.
Choose A Section:
- How To Find A Wakefield Medical Negligence Solicitor
- Does My Clinical Negligence Solicitor Need To Be Based In Wakefield?
- Look At Reviews Of Solicitors
- Your Injury Could Be Examined By Our Panel Of Doctors In Wakefield
- Clinical Negligence Claims Our Panel Of Experts Could Conduct
- Surgical Medical Malpractice Claims
- Medical Negligence At Birth
- Hospital Medical Malpractice
- Cancer And Medical Malpractice
- Nursing Home Medical Malpractice
- Medical Negligence GP Practice
- Dentist Medical Malpractice
- Statistics For Medical Negligence Claims Against The NHS In Wakefield
- No Win No Fee Medical Negligence Or Malpractice Claims In Wakefield
- Hospitals And Clinics In Wakefield
- How Do I Start A Clinical Negligence Claim?
- Resources And References
How To Find A Wakefield Medical Negligence Solicitor
If you have never had any dealings with a firm of solicitors in the past, you may struggle to come up with a way to find a good legal team to process your negligence claim for you. To help with this, each of these three methods below is an entirely valid place to start your search for legal representation:
- Try and find an online review site, that has plenty of impartial, community published reviews of solicitors, and use these reviews to perform a comparative analysis of each of the legal firms.
- Call your friends and members of your family, to find out if any of them can recommend a solicitor they have used previously.
- Speak to people at work, and find out if any of them have had to make a claim themselves, and which solicitor they used.
Even though each of these is a good way to start looking for a legal team to help you, it will still take some effort to finally choose one. We have an alternative for you, that is much simpler. Our panel of expert specialist medical negligence solicitors are not based in Wakefield but they certainly have the knowledge and expertise to be able to successfully deliver medical negligence cases. Our panel of expert medical negligence solicitors can offer advice on the personal injury claims time limit that will apply, and also give you an estimate of how much you could claim (you could also use a personal injury claims calculator to find this out but any figures should only ever be used as a guide).
Does My Clinical Negligence Solicitor Need To Be Based In Wakefield?
To answer the question, do I need to use medical negligence solicitors near me? The answer is no; there is no compelling reason or legal requirement for you to use a local legal firm unless you want to. It is better to choose the most suitable solicitor, with the best chance of being successful when processing your claim. SMS, email, web chat, etc. make communicating with your solicitor very simple, no matter where their offices happen to be in the UK.
Look At Reviews Of Solicitors
Medical negligence solicitors reviews can be a great source of information, that can help you whittle down your choices of legal firms. If you can find a reputable online review site, you can begin comparing the information provided within the reviews, such as:
- What kind of claim is the review about?
- Was the claim successful or not?
- How long ago was the review published?
- Was the review a positive one?
- Did the solicitor offer a Conditional Fee Agreement (CFA)?
- How much did the solicitor charge as their fee?
By comparing information such as this, you can create a shortlist of solicitors that may be suitable. However, we can offer you a much simpler alternative. If you speak to one of our team members, they will explain how Medical Negligence Assist can help provide you with a specialist solicitor to handle your case.
Your Injury Could Be Examined By Our Panel Of Doctors In Wakefield
One of the things that you can do, in preparation for making your personal injury claim, is to undergo an impartial medical examination. The medical professional who undertakes this for you, can produce a report that can be submitted as evidence to bolster your claim. This can be arranged for you within Wakefield area, from these medical professionals or others:
|Sumeet Vohra||Raines Buisness Centre||Wakefield||WF1 1HR|
|David Adamah||25-27 Cheapside||Wakefield||WF1 2TF|
Clinical Negligence Claims Our Panel Of Experts Could Conduct
There are different forms that clinical negligence could take, that could cause harm to a patient and result in a medical negligence solicitor processing a claim for them if negligence occurs within the health industry through a breach in the care of duty which leads to avoidable harm. In each case, a medical professional involved will have had to cause harm to the patient, in a way that was both avoidable and in breach of their duty of care, in order for a claim to be possible. For example:
- A negligent mistake was made during an operation, that caused a preventable injury to the patient on the operating table.
- A mother or baby was avoidably injured during childbirth, due to a negligent act of one of the attending medical professionals.
- An accident occurred at a hospital, injuring a patient, with negligence being the cause.
- A negligent misdiagnosis or wrongful diagnosis of an illness such as cancer, stopped the patient from receiving critical treatment, which resulted in their death.
- A GP failed in their duty as a primary care provider, and a patient did not receive treatment for an illness, which resulted in their condition worsening.
- The level of care in a nursing home was allowed to drop below the official guidelines, and this resulted in a resident being harmed.
- A dentist extracted the wrong tooth.
Surgical Medical Malpractice Claims
If we were to look at an example of a successful surgical medical malpractice case, we would find that two things would be true. Firstly, one of the attending medical professionals was negligent as they may have deviated from correct predefined proven procedures, and secondly, that the patient was harmed because of this negligent act. For example:
- The surgeon did not read the medical notes correctly and amputated the wrong limb.
- The anaesthetist did not read the medical notes saying the patient had an allergy to certain anaesthetic medication and the patient suffered an allergic reaction.
- Nursing care post-op was negligent, allowing the patient to contract an infection.
Medical Negligence At Birth
An incidence of medical negligence at birth, could lead to injuries to the baby, the mother, or possibly both in extreme cases. For example:
- The mother can sustain injuries such as:
- Misdiagnosis of pre-eclampsia.
- Internal organ damage to a badly performed C-section.
- The placenta or part of is retained causing infection.
- The baby could sustain injuries such as:
- Lacerations or bruising.
- Scarring and disfigurement.
- Broken bones.
- Hypoxia leading to brain damage.
- Cerebral palsy.
In order to have a valid case and be eligible for any kind of damages the medical practitioner must have been negligent, maybe they never monitored the foetus correctly which may have lead to the baby being starved of oxygen which resulted in brain damage.
Hospital Medical Malpractice
Regardless of why you are at the hospital whether it is for an out patient appointment or because you need to go to accident and emergency the level of service and treatment should always be maintained at or above the minimum standard. If the service is substandard it may mean that medical staff have breached their duty of care which in turn could lead to a preventable injury or illness. For example:
- If a patient has a fracture misdiagnosed and the fracture worsens unnecessarily because it was not diagnosed at the earliest opportunity.
- If the patient contracts a hospital acquired infection due to poor hygiene.
- When a patient suffers an allergic reaction or overdose due to pharmaceutical errors.
Cancer And Medical Malpractice
If it comes to medical malpractice with regards to cancer, the results could be catastrophic, even fatal. Cancer requires rapid application of potentially harmful treatments such as radiotherapy and chemotherapy. If a mistake is made during treatment, it could cause the patient to be unnecessarily harmed. Similarly, a delayed diagnosis or a wrongful diagnosis, could result in treatment being delayed, potentially threatening the life of the patient. If you have any questions in regards to cancer medical malpractice do not hesitate to call our advisors.
Nursing Home Medical Malpractice
A busy, understaffed or badly managed nursing or care home, may allow the overall level of care to drop below that which is stipulated within regulatory requirements for the care sector. If this happens, and a resident of a care home is injured as a result of this negligence, then it could be possible to sue a nursing home for nursing home medical malpractice.
Medical Negligence GP Practice
Your GP is expected to perform an initial diagnosis of your medical condition, and in the case of minor ailments and injuries, provide primary care. In the case of more serious medical conditions, the GP must refer the patient on to a specialist, that will provide the appropriate treatment. So, if a GP makes a mistake, it can result in the patient not receiving the correct treatment, or receiving it when a condition may have already deteriorated. This could cause their overall health to deteriorate. If a patient does not receive a diagnosis at the earliest possible opportunity and it is due to a negligent mistake on the part of the GP and their condition worsens because of this negligence grounds for a medical negligence claim may exist.
Dentist Medical Malpractice
A claim could be possible, if a dentist, or one of the nursing staff, makes some form of negligent mistake that harms the dental patient. The mistake could result in injuries such as:
- Cuts and bruising to the face or neck.
- Long-term scarring or permanent facial disfigurement.
- Damage to, or loss of healthy teeth.
- Gum infections due to poor hygiene.
Statistics For Medical Negligence Claims Against The Mid Yorkshire Hospital NHS Trust
The table below, presents details of occurrences of NHS negligence in the Mid Yorkshire Hospital NHS Trust:
|Healthcare Provider||Claims Received (2017/18)||Number of Incidents (2017/18)||Payments Made|
|Mid Yorkshire Hospital NHS Trust||115||20||£20, 920, 808|
All data for this table was taken from:
No Win No Fee Medical Negligence Or Malpractice Claims In Wakefield
If you were to use a No Win No Fee claims service to gain access to a personal injury solicitor to process your claim, then you won’t pay any fee to have your claim started. You also don’t pay a fee while the claim is processed, or if you don’t receive any compensation you will not have to pay your solicitor any fees. You are only expected to pay your solicitor a fee when the solicitor receives a payment for you, and at this stage, they will deduct their fee automatically.
Hospitals And Clinics In Wakefield
Pinderfields General Hospital
Opening hours: 24 hours.
How Do I Start A Clinical Negligence Claim?
Have you suffered harm due to the negligent actions of a medical professional? Do you need a medical negligence lawyer to help you by processing a claim on your behalf? If so, please speak to one of our team on 0800 652 3087. They will be able to tell you how a claims service may be able to provide you with the help that you need.
Resources And References
You may find these external links to be of use:
These additional guides on this site could also be useful:
Edited by LisM.