If you are wondering whether or not you have experienced Royal Surrey Hospital negligence, this claims guide could help. Not only will we look at different types of medical negligence that could lead to a claim, but we will also look at previous Royal Surrey Hospital compensation payouts for cases that could be similar to yours. Here at Medical Negligence Assist, our team of expert advisors are on hand to offer a wealth of advice and support to those considering making a medical negligence claim. You can be sure that we would be able to assist you, whether you want to know how to sue a hospital for negligence, or you’d like to know what the medical negligence claims time limit would be in your case. We could even connect you with one of our panel of medical negligence solicitors who could fight for birth injury negligence, surgical negligence or other hospital negligence payouts on your behalf. Our contact details can be found at the end of this guide if you’d like to get in touch.
Choose A Section
- A Guide To Royal Surrey Hospital Medical Negligence Claims
- What Is The Definition Of Medical Negligence?
- Statistics – Royal Surrey Hospital Compensation Payouts
- Case study – £11m Compensation Awarded For Birth Injuries Causing Brain Damage
- £53m Compensation Paid Out For Mistakes By Royal Surrey Hospital NHS Trust
- How Do You Claim Compensation For Medical Negligence?
- Doctors We Work With To Assess Injuries In Surrey
- No Win No Fee Hospital Compensation Claims
- Talk To Our Medical Negligence Experts
- Resources And Related Guides
This medical negligence guide covers Royal Surrey Hospital negligence claims, and in it, we reveal Royal Surrey Hospital compensation amounts payouts. We have gone into detail about a case that covers a claim for birth injury negligence against the hospital. Whether you have experienced negligence at Royal Surrey County Hospital A&E, or you’ve obtained birth injuries because of poor management of your labour, you could look to a medical negligence lawyer to help secure a settlement claim. Medical Negligence Assist could help you with this, along with explaining as much information as possible about making claims against Royal Surrey County Hospital NHS Foundation Trust. Please read on for guidance.
Medical negligence could be considered a standard of care that falls below what is expected and has directly caused the patient to develop a new condition or injury or makes an existing medical condition become worse. You may assume that you could only look into making claims against hospitals for medical negligence, however, you could also claim against GPs, dentists, care homes and more. In this guide, however, we are focusing on Royal Surrey Hospital negligence payouts.
When Could You Sue A Hospital For Negligence?
There are a variety of different types of negligence that could fall under the remit of hospital negligence. These could include:
Birth negligence – If your labour was not monitored correctly or the correct protocols were not followed, and you and/or your baby suffer an avoidable birth injury, you might wish to consider claiming for hospital compensation payouts for birth injuries.
Surgical negligence – Should your surgeon or the surgical team fail in their duty of care, and you suffer an avoidable surgical injury then you could look into making a claim for hospital negligence.
Hospital doctor negligence – This could include a negligent misdiagnosis of an illness or injury; it could include missed fractures or a misdiagnosis of cancer etc.
Ward negligence – If you obtained an infection because of poor hygiene on the ward or poor infection control, then you could look into hospital compensation payouts you could claim for your suffering.
These are just a few examples. If you feel you have experienced negligent treatment and it has led to your health suffering, it might be wise to check out whether you could have cause to make a claim for negligence payouts.
This table shows statistics for Royal Surrey Hospital compensation payouts. You can clearly see the damages and the number of claims over the periods listed.
|Value of payments
|Name of hospital or NHS Trust
|No. successful claims made against hospital/ trust
|Royal Surrey County Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
|Royal Surrey County Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
If you would like more statistics for other areas, why not take a look at the NHS statistics reports.
Here, we will take a look at a Royal Surrey Hospital negligence compensation amount for a case that was reported in 2017.
In this case, over £11 million was promised by the NHS trust to the family of a child who was starved of oxygen to the brain during the birth process.
Whilst we do not know the child’s name, we know they were 10 years old in 2017. The payout has been partially made in a lump sum of £6 million with annual payments being made at the following levels:
- £157,500 per annum until the child turns 13
- £250,000 per annum until the child turns 19
- £323,000 per annum thereafter
It was found by the court that the mother had not been monitored closely enough to spot signs of the baby’s distress. The case was heard at London’s High Court, where it was heard that the child is severely disabled, cannot walk, sit, roll or stand without assistance and requires round the clock care as well as a wheelchair.
For your information, we have taken this form: https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey-news/young-girl-left-catastrophic-brain-13335221
It has been reported that in just five years (2012 – 2017) Royal Surrey County Hospital NHS Foundation Trust has paid out £53 million pounds in medical negligence compensation. In total for the period of 2012 to 2017, NHS services in Surrey have paid out a whopping £123 million on legal fees and damages to settle claims for clinical negligence that have been made against them. Within the short five year period, Surrey NHS trusts also settled claims for negligence that occurred before April 1995. In a response to the staggering amount of money that has been paid out due to medical negligence, a nurse at Ashford and St Peter’s Hospitals, said “nothing is more important” than patient safety but admitted, “sometimes things do go wrong”. We collected the information from this section of the guide from the below link;
Claiming medical negligence compensation could seem on the face of it quite complex, but if you follow the steps below, you could find it quite easy to go forward with making a personal injury claim.
- Initially, you might want to assess whether you could have cause to claim for Royal Surrey Hospital negligence. You would need to be within the medical negligence time limit to do so, but this could differ depending on your specific set of circumstances. The date the limitation period begins could differ. If the avoidable harm is spotted right away, then the period would usually begin from the date of negligence. If it was discovered later down the line, then the limitation period could begin from the date the avoidable harm was discovered. Please contact one of our legal advisors for further guidance on this.
- As well as this, it might be a good idea to try and obtain your hospital medical records from the hospital management team. If you cannot do this, then a personal injury solicitor may be able to do this for you.
- Write down what has happened – Keeping your own report of the events that led to you suffering injuries as a result of the negligence, could help with your case.
- Keep staff and witness information – If you know the names and job titles of the people who have treated you, then it might be a good idea to write these down too – in addition, it might be wise to go ahead and collect the names of people who were witness to the negligence as well.
- Get photographic evidence – If you have visible scarring or injuries, then it might be a good idea to retain photos of these. This could provide photographic evidence of the negligence you’ve suffered.
- Keep cost evidence – Should you have incurred bills for prescriptions, have lost out on earnings, have needed to travel or incurred any other costs due to the negligence, then you might be wise to collate evidence of these costs. Your personal injury solicitor can claim these back on your behalf as part of the special damages section of your claim.
- Finally, looking for a solicitor to help with your medical negligence claim could be a very good decision to make. Here at Medical Negligence Assist, we advise claimants to consider a no win no fee personal injury solicitor, which we’ll explain in more detail in the specific section below.
You will be required to attend an independent medical assessment when making a claim for medical negligence. We work with a panel of doctors who are based throughout the UK and some of whom are located locally to you in Surrey. We have listed two below for your ease of reference.
Guildford Physiotherapy & Sports Clinic, 85 Epsom Road, Guildford, GU1 3PA.
Regus Guildford, 1 Farnham Road, Guildford, GU2 4RG.
When it comes to making negligence claims against Royal Surrey County Hospital, Guildford, you might wish to consider doing so on a no win no fee basis. If your claim is unsuccessful then you will not have to pay your solicitors fees. This would reduce your financial risk, and you could also be sure that the solicitor you have working on your case is doing so as they feel it has valid merits as they would not take on any claim that they did not think would have a chance of success.
At Medical Negligence Assist, we have a team of experts ready and willing to offer free advice, support and guidance on the medical negligence claim process. We can take you through the process, step by step, as well as explaining more about the amount you could be looking to claim, and how to find a solicitor that could help you. In fact, we can even connect you with one from our panel of medical negligence solicitors who are appropriately experienced and knowledgeable. We can be reached on 0800 652 3087 at any time.
Royal Surrey Trust – You can see the CQC information on the trust here.
Royal Surrey Hospital – CQC information on the hospital itself can be found here.
NHS Complainants – See how to make an NHS complaint here.
Find resources below to learn more about hospital negligence claims.
- Hospital Negligence Claims
- Ipswich Hospital negligence
- Whiston Hospital negligence
- Birmingham Women’s hospital negligence
- The John Radcliffe hospital negligence
- Royal Derby hospital negligence
- St Bartholomew’s hospital negligence
- Manchester Royal Infirmary negligence
- Operation negligence claims
- The Royal Liverpool Hospital compensation amounts
- Orthopaedic Surgery Negligence
- ENT Negligence
- Spire Hospital Negligence
- Hospital negligence claims explained