When trying to find the best medical negligence solicitor to help begin a claim for injuries caused by medical professionals, many of us simply ask a friend for a recommendation or look at reviews. While these could both work, this guide will provide you with more information about what to look for when picking a solicitor to help you. If you’re looking for medical negligence solicitors in Aldershot, then this guide should help you choose the right one for your claim.
Our panel of medical negligence solicitors are not based in Aldershot but can cover the Aldershot area which means, if you’re looking to begin a claim today, they might be able to help you. To discuss your options please give us a call on 0800 652 3087.
If you want more information, prior to making a claim, then please continue reading this helpful guide.
Choose A Section
- How To Find A Solicitor To Make A Clinical Negligence Claim
- Compare Different Clinical Negligence Solicitors Using Reviews
- Do I Have To Use Solicitors In Aldershot For My Claim?
- We Have A Panel Of Doctors In Hampshire To Examine Illness And Injuries
- Common Reasons For Making A Clinical Negligence Claim
- Aldershot Hospital And Healthcare Centre Negligence
- Operation Negligence Claim
- Pregnancy And Birth Injury Claims
- Neglect In Care Homes And Nursing Homes
- Cancer Misdiagnosis
- Dental Clinical Negligence
- GP Clinical Negligence
- Annual Information On Rates Of Clinical Negligence Claims In Hampshire NHS Trusts
- Hospitals In Hampshire
- No Win No Fee Aldershot Clinical Negligence Cases
- Contact Our Team
- Helpful References
Before deciding which medical negligence lawyer is best placed to help you, it’s worth reviewing the definition of medical negligence to check whether you could claim or not.
In most cases, you’ll need to prove that:
- You received some form of below par or substandard medical treatment from a medical professional.
- And that you were injured, made ill or your condition got worse because of that substandard care.
If you can prove both of these criteria to a personal injury lawyer, then they may offer you a no win no fee service to pursue your claim.
Throughout this guide, we’ll examine different examples of negligence which may lead to a claim to help you determine if you could claim. Once you’ve done so, you’ll need to choose a solicitor to take on your claim.
As we’ve mentioned, you might ask friends, colleagues or family for a recommendation. You might also look at medical negligence solicitors’ reviews. While both of these could be good starting points, we’ll explain the other options that you have available to you. For instance, our panel of expert medical negligence solicitors are able to help with Aldershot clinical negligence cases which will explain in more detail later in this guide.
One thing that is really important to get across is that there is a medical negligence claims time limit for all claims. This means you have 3 years to begin your claim from the date the negligence happened (or you found out about it). If you were a minor (under the age of eighteen) at the time of your accident, you have until the age of twenty one to bring a claim for personal injury.
Compare Different Clinical Negligence Solicitors Using Reviews
If you do want to start your search by using reviews of solicitors, then here are a number of things to look for:
- Were the previous clients happy with the number of updates they received?
- How many cases, similar to yours, has the solicitor taken on and won recently.
- Were the clients happy with the outcome of their claim?
Use the reviews as a starting point by all means, but, we also recommend that you speak with the solicitor as well. This will allow you to find out what the solicitor can do for you and how they plan to manage your case, which is information you won’t receive from reviews.
Do I Have To Use Solicitors In Aldershot For My Claim?
Because of modern communication methods, there’s really no need to use a solicitor’s in Aldershot to make your claim. It’s much better to pick the solicitor based on their expertise in medical negligence claims.
Communication is carried out by email, telephone and sometimes the postal service. Therefore, you can use a solicitor based anywhere in the UK because in many cases, face to face meetings are not required.
We Have A Panel Of Doctors In Hampshire To Examine Illness And Injuries
To help ensure you don’t have to travel too far because of your Aldershot medical negligence claim, we have a panel of doctors that can be used to assess the severity of your injuries;
Here are some of our local panel of doctors:
85 Epsom Road,
Guildford, GU1 3PA.
3000 Cathedral Hill,
Guildford, GU2 7YB.
Common Reasons For Making A Clinical Negligence Claim
We’ll now take a look at the types of negligence which could lead to a personal injury claim. Even if you don’t see your type of injury listed, we could still help. If you suspect you’ve been injured as a result of medical negligence of some kind then please call our team to discuss beginning a claim.
Aldershot Hospital And Healthcare Centre Negligence
Any stay at a hospital which causes you to become ill, injured or your existing condition to worsen, could lead to a compensation claim if your suffering was caused by any form of negligence by a medical professional.
Some examples of hospital negligence could include:
- If you suffer an illness, such as pneumonia, because you contracted MRSA due to poor hygiene in the hospital.
- When your condition became worse because of a delay in treatment due to a late or misdiagnosis.
- If you suffer any form of surgical injury caused by negligence.
- Or if you become ill or suffer side effects because you were prescribed the wrong medication.
Operation Negligence Claim
You might think that, when a surgeon explains any risks associated with a procedure, you couldn’t claim compensation if you’re injured during the operation. That’s not always the case though, even if you sign a waiver or consent form.
If you’re injured during surgery by a negligent act, then it may still be possible to begin a claim.
Some examples for you to consider include:
- If you suffer because suturing or a medical clip fails, following surgery.
- If you wake up during surgery and feel pain due to a mistake with your anaesthetic.
- When you suffer any injuries to unrelated internal organs during surgery.
- Or if you suffer complications or require further treatment to remove surgical equipment left inside your body following surgery.
Pregnancy And Birth Injury Claims
A trip to the maternity ward requires you to put a lot of faith in the medical professionals who’ll help deliver your baby. They have a duty of care to protect both mother and baby during birth and are trained in dealing with all types of delivery from the straightforward to the most difficult cases.
If they fail to follow the procedures they’ve been trained to follow, make a mistake, fail to spot a problem or fail to refer to a specialist when required and these acts of negligent lead to mother or baby becoming injured, then a compensation claim might be possible.
Neglect In Care Homes And Nursing Homes
Care homes have special guidelines and procedures that they must follow, written for them by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) to ensure staff are able to provide a good standard of care for all of their residents.
While workloads can be high and staff shortages might occur, the staff should always maintain the minimum level of care to ensure patients remain safe and are cared for to an appropriate level. If they fail to follow regulations though, then it could be possible to claim compensation for any injuries caused by mistakes or negligence.
Care home negligence that might occur include:
- Bedsores and subsequent infections caused because a bed-bound resident hasn’t been moved regularly.
- Injuries caused by a fall when lifting procedures weren’t followed correctly.
- Illnesses caused by medication not being dispensed at the correct intervals.
- Any type of care home abuse which leads to suffering.
If a patient suffers because their cancer treatment is delayed by a medical professional’s mistake, then they (or a loved one on their behalf) could begin a compensation claim.
When cancer is spotted early, the patient’s prognosis is often very good because of advances in cancer treatments. If the treatment doesn’t start right away though, because of a failure to diagnose the cancer correctly, then it could lead to a worsening of the condition.
It could also lead to the need for more aggressive (and painful) treatment or the cancer becoming untreatable.
Dental Clinical Negligence
A dental negligence claim might be the right way to go if you suffer any form of injury following dental treatment. This could be by a dentist, hygienist or dental nurse. Some examples include:
- If the dentist fails to spot a problem which causes you to suffer for longer than necessary.
- When you suffer with damaged teeth, gums or nerves following a mistake during treatment.
- If you suffer pain when undergoing a procedure that wasn’t actually required due to a mistake in diagnosis.
GP Clinical Negligence
When we become ill or worried about our health, we often turn to our local GP for an initial assessment of our symptoms.
While, in many cases, doctors are able to diagnose, treat or refer a patient within the first appointment, if they make any form of mistake, this could result in a patient’s health becoming worse and this could lead to a compensation claim.
Examples of negligence by a GP which might lead to a claim include:
- If the patient is made ill or has avoidable side effects because they’re given the wrong prescription.
- When the patient’s illness becomes worse due to a lack of treatment which could be caused by a late or misdiagnosis.
Annual Information On Rates Of Clinical Negligence Claims In Hampshire NHS Trusts
For your information, here are the latest figures which show how much compensation the NHS trust in the Hampshire area paid out during 2017.
|Claims in 2017/2018
|Hampshire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Source: This data came from this NHS resource.
Hospitals In Hampshire
To help you further, we’ve listed some of the larger hospitals that serve the Aldershot and wider Hampshire area:
- Aldershot Centre For Health.
- Fleet Community Hospital.
- Frimley Park Hospital.
- BMI The Hampshire Clinic.
- Wokingham Hospital.
As mentioned previously, our panel of medical negligence solicitor are not based in Aldershot but can cover the Aldershot area so might be able to help you begin a claim against any of these hospitals. Whether it be NHS negligence, private healthcare negligence or any other form of clinical negligence, please call to discuss your claim today.
No Win No Fee Aldershot Clinical Negligence Cases
To make claiming easier, our panel of medical negligence solicitors all offer a no win no fee service for any claim they agree to take on.
No win no fee works like this:
- Firstly, your claim is assessed to ensure you have a good chance of compensation.
- You don’t have to pay any fees upfront to begin the claim.
- If the solicitor wins the claim, you don’t have to find the funds to pay them as their success fee (limited to a maximum of 25%) is taken directly from your compensation payment.
- And if they fail to win your case, you don’t have to pay them at all.
Contact Our Team
Having read this guide, if you’re ready to begin discussing your claim with our team of medical negligence specialists, you can get in touch by:
- Calling free on 0800 652 3087 and discussing your claim straight away.
- Claiming online by filling in this form.
Now that you’ve reached the end of our guide, we’ve listed some external resources which you might find useful:
Aldershot Centre for Health
Aldershot, GU11 1AY.
Inspection Report: When this hospital is next inspected, the report from the Care Quality Commission will appear here.
NHS England Cancer – A page from the NHS detailing all of the treatment options available to cancer patients.
Medical Compensation Claims – A detailed look at the medical negligence steps and the stages of a clinical negligence claim.
Personal Injury Claims Calculator – This useful article answers questions such as, “How much compensation for death by medical negligence?”
GP Medical Negligence – We have created this guide to provide you with all the information you need to know regarding GP negligence.
Written by Brett.
Edited by Charlotte.