Choosing the best medical negligence solicitor to help you when you need to make a claim against your doctor, a hospital, a dentist or other medical professional can be tricky. It’s important to get the right one though because it could affect the outcome of your claim. This guide is going to offer advice about what you need to look for if you’re trying to find medical negligence solicitors in Dewsbury. We’ll also explain why you’re not obliged to choose a law firm in Dewsbury.
Our panel of medical negligence solicitors are not based in Dewsbury but can cover the area and could help you if you’re considering making a claim for your injuries. To discuss your claim right away then please call us on 0800 652 3087 to speak with one of our legal advisors.
However, if you would like to learn more first, then please continue reading this guide.
Choose A Section
- How To Find A Solicitor To Handle Your Medical Negligence Claim
- Compare Medical Claims Solicitors Through Reviews
- Could My Solicitor Be Based In A Different Area?
- Our Panel Of Solicitors Could Assess Your Injury Close To Dewsbury
- Medical Malpractice Claims A Clinical Negligence Solicitor Could Help You Make
- Care Home Injuries Caused By Negligence
- Surgical Injuries Caused By Negligence
- Birth Injuries Caused By Negligence
- Cancer Care Injuries Caused By Negligence
- Dental Injuries Caused By Negligence
- GP Injuries Caused By Negligence
- Hospital Injuries And Illness Caused By Negligence
- Data For Medical Claims Made Against Mid Yorkshire NHS Trusts
- Hospitals Serving Dewsbury
- No Win No Fee Medical Malpractice Compensation Claims
- Contacting Our Team
- Helpful References And Resources
How To Find A Solicitor To Handle Your Medical Negligence Claim
When choosing a personal injury lawyer there are some standard steps you could take such as speak with friends, read reviews or ask for recommendations. All of these could be a good starting point, but we’ll expand on them throughout this guide.
Before choosing the right solicitor though, you should ensure your claim falls within the medical negligence claims time limit of 3 years. This is from the date the negligence happened or the date you found out about any injuries. For children, a parent can claim any time up until their 18th birthday or the child can claim themselves within 3 years of their 18th birthday.
Also, you should ensure you meet the criteria for beginning a claim. Any personal injury solicitor would want to prove that:
- You received bad, inappropriate or substandard treatment from a medical professional (doctor, nurse, surgeon etc).
- And that, because of this treatment, you sustained an injury, became ill or your existing condition was made worse.
If you’re not sure if you meet these criteria, then you may not be able to claim but please call our experts to check. Our specialist will be able to advise you of what options you have available to you.
Compare Medical Claims Solicitors Through Reviews
Reading medical negligence solicitors reviews can be a great starting point when choosing a solicitor to help you. You can use them to find out whether previous clients were happy with the professionalism of the solicitor, the frequency of updates and the outcome of their claim.
Once you’ve reduced your choice of solicitors down to a manageable number, we’d advise you to speak with the solicitors directly to find out how they’ll manage your case and what amount of compensation they expect to achieve.
Could My Solicitor Be Based In A Different Area?
You might think that you have to use clinical negligence solicitors in Dewsbury when making a claim but, in actual fact, there’s no need. This means that you can choose your solicitor based on their experience in making medical negligence claims and not their location.
You don’t need to meet your solicitor face to face as communication is usually via the phone or email. Therefore, using solicitors in the Dewsbury area isn’t essential which means we could help you by introducing you to one of our panel of medical negligence solicitors who are not based in Dewsbury but can cover the area.
Our Panel Of Solicitors Could Assess Your Injury Close To Dewsbury
To ensure you don’t need to travel too far during your medical negligence claim we have a panel of doctors across the UK. We use these whenever a claimant needs to undergo a medical assessment to verify the extent of their injuries.
Some of the specialists in the Dewsbury area are listed below:
Riaz Moosa Raza
2 Field Gardens,
Wakefield, WF2 7RD.
Back in Action Physiotherapy,
10 Agbrigg Road,
Wakefield, WF2 6AF.
Medical Malpractice Claims A Clinical Negligence Solicitor Could Help You Make
Over the coming sections, we will provide examples of different types of medical negligence which could lead to a compensation claim. You may have a different example of negligence that you’ve suffered, and we could still help you claim. If you believe you meet the criteria listed earlier then please call one of our experts to discuss making a claim.
Care Home Injuries Caused By Negligence
Care homes have to adapt the care plan for each patient to help meet their needs and make them as comfortable as possible, but they still need to ensure the correct health and safety procedures are followed at all times.
If mistakes, errors or any other forms of negligence happen which leads to a patient suffering then a compensation claim could be possible. Examples of care home negligence include:
- Any injury sustained during a fall due to incorrect lifting techniques being used.
- Suffering caused by any form of care home abuse.
- Injuries such as bed sores caused because the patient wasn’t moved regularly enough.
- Any illness caused because the patients medicine wasn’t dispensed at the correct intervals.
Surgical Injuries Caused By Negligence
Most surgery comes with some form of associated risk. The surgeon will usually explain the risks and ask the patient to sign a consent form. That doesn’t mean they can’t be sued if they make a mistake which causes the patient to suffer.
If the patient suffers because of a known risk of the surgery, then claiming probably wouldn’t be possible, but injuries caused by the negligent actions or omissions of surgical staff might mean a claim is possible. Some examples include:
- A patient who suffers pain and requires further treatment because items of surgical equipment were left inside their body.
- If the patient wakes during surgery and suffers adverse consequences because of an anaesthetic mistake.
- When suturing or a medical clip is inadequate and fails causing the patient to suffer and require more treatment.
Birth Injuries Caused By Negligence
When a mother enters the maternity ward she has to put faith in the fact that the team of medical professionals that help with the birth have all received adequate training and know what to do in the case of a normal birth or how to react if something goes wrong making the process more complex.
If a midwife, nurse, doctor or paediatrician fail to follow standard procedures or don’t react properly when something goes wrong, then a claim might be possible if either mother or baby are injured because of their mistake.
Cancer Care Injuries Caused By Negligence
With modern medicine methods and scientific advances, a cancer diagnosis isn’t necessarily as devastating as it was a few years ago. In fact, if the treatment is started soon enough, then the prognosis for many patients can be good and where the cancer may have been managed in the past, doctors will now try to cure the cancer completely.
Therefore, any delay in treatment could mean a patient suffers, their prognosis worsens, the cancer becomes untreatable or they have to undergo a more painful treatment option. If this is caused by a GP, hospital doctor, cancer specialist or other medical professional failing to diagnose the cancer properly, then a compensation claim might be possible.
Dental Injuries Caused By Negligence
Dentists and any other staff member in a dental surgery have a duty of care to any patient who visits their practice for a check-up or any form of procedure. Dental staff follow standard procedures wherever possible and ensure hygiene standards are met. If they fail to do so and the patient suffers injuries or becomes ill, then a compensation claim might be the next course of action.
Some examples of dental negligence include:
- When a patient suffers damage to any gums, nerves or teeth during a procedure.
- Pain suffered due to dental surgery that wasn’t required (caused by a misdiagnosis).
- If the dentist fails to spot conditions like oral cancer at the earliest opportunity causing the cancer to worsen and the patient to suffer more.
GP Injuries Caused By Negligence
When we feel ill or are worried about our health, the first place we’ll usually seek advice from is our local GP surgery. In many cases, the doctor will be able to diagnose the problem, provide a treatment plan or refer us to a specialist within the first appointment.
However, in some cases, when a GP fails to get it right, then the patient may be able to claim compensation if the mistake caused them to suffer. This could be because of a delay in treatment which meant their condition became worse (caused by a late or misdiagnosis) or because they became ill due to the wrong medication being prescribed.
Hospital Injuries And Illness Caused By Negligence
Usually, when you attend a hospital, whether private or NHS, you hope that any treatment you receive will resolve any illness or injury that you have. You certainly don’t expect to sustain a new injury or become ill because of a mistake made by hospital staff. It can happen though and, if it does, could lead to a claim.
Some examples of hospital negligence include:
- Injuries caused by a surgical error.
- Illnesses caused by hygiene problems leading to superbugs such as MRSA.
- A patient’s condition worsening because of a late or misdiagnosis.
- Any illness or side-effect caused by incorrect medication being dispensed by the hospital pharmacy.
Data For Medical Claims Made Against Mid Yorkshire NHS Trusts
In the table below, we’ve outlined the complaints and compensation payments made by the NHS trust covering Dewsbury during 2017.
|Healthcare Provider||Claims in 2017/2018||Number of Incidents 2017/2018||Damages Payments|
|Mid Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust (The)||115||20||£20,920,808|
Hospitals Serving Dewsbury
Here are some of the larger hospitals which serve the Dewsbury area:
- Dewsbury and District Hospital.
- Pinnderfields General Hospital.
- Huddersfield Royal Infirmary.
- BMI The Huddersfield Hospital.
- Spire Elland Hospital.
You don’t need to waste time looking for solicitors in Dewsbury as we could help you claim for any negligence claim at any of these hospitals. This is because our panel of medical negligence solicitors are not based in Dewsbury but can cover area.
No Win No Fee Medical Malpractice Compensation Claims
Many people worry about the cost of hiring a medical negligence lawyer to begin a claim which is why many offer a no win no fee service.
No win no fee means that:
- You don’t have to pay the solicitor before they’ll start the claim.
- If your chosen solicitor fails to win any compensation, you don’t have to pay them at all.
- And, if they do win compensation, you won’t need to find the funds to pay them as they’re paid directly from the compensation.
Success fees that solicitors can charge are limited to 25% of your compensation and could be lower. We believe that choosing a no win no fee agreement drastically reduces the financial risk that comes along with making a personal injury claim.
Contacting Our Team
Helpful References And Resources
As you’ve reached the end of this guide, we’ve provided some useful resources and external links that you may find useful.
Dewsbury and District Hospital
Dewsbury, WF13 4HS.
NHS Cancer Options – A guide from the NHS detailing what treatment options are available for different types of cancer.
Health and Safety in Care Homes – The guidelines for care home management laid down by the Health and Safety Executive.
Surgical Negligence – This guide explains when mistakes in general surgery or errors in cosmetic surgery could lead to a compensation claim.
Hospital Negligence Claims – Information on when a claim against a hospital could be made including pharmacy errors, negligence by a paramedic as well as A&E claims.
Written by Brett.
Edited by Charlotte.