On this page, you will find a guide to choosing a team of medical negligence solicitors covering Oldham. Further down this page, you will read about many of the forms that negligence can take, and the kinds of harm this can cause to patients. We will also explain why you could be eligible to claim, and give some advice on how to start looking for a good solicitor to handle your claim for you.
If you have any questions about your own case or the claim process in general, our panel of medical negligence solicitors are not based in Oldham but can cover the area, and would be more than happy to answer any questions that you have, you can speak to them by calling 0800 652 3087.
Choose A Section:
- How Do I Choose Which Solicitor To Handle My Clinical Negligence Claim?
- Do I Need To Use A Medical Negligence Solicitor In Oldham?
- We Have A Panel Of Doctors In Oldham Who Could Assess Your Injuries
- Should I Read Reviews Of Medical Negligence Solicitors?
- Medical Negligence Claims In Oldham Our Team Could Handle
- Surgical Negligence
- Negligence During Childbirth
- Negligence In An NHS Or Private Hospital
- Neglect In A Care Home
- Misdiagnosis Of Cancer And Other Diseases
- Dental Negligence
- GP Negligence
- Medical Negligence Statistics For NHS Trusts In Lancashire
- No Win No Fee Medical Negligence Solicitors Covering Oldham
- Hospitals In Oldham
- Contact Our Team
- Helpful Resources
How Do I Choose Which Solicitor To Handle My Clinical Negligence Claim?
Selecting a team of solicitors to handle your negligence claim for you, can be a daunting proposition, especially if you have no prior experience of dealing with a legal firm. There are, however, some ways that you can approach this task. For example:
- You could try talking to your friends and family, to find out if they can recommend a good solicitor.
- You could reach out to your co-workers, and find out if they have any recommendations for you.
- You could try to find an online review site, that has plenty of comparative reviews of different solicitors.
Each of these is an entirely valid way to start your search for a good legal firm. However, we can offer you something of a shortcut. You could speak to one of our panel of expert medical negligence solicitors, who can explain why a claims service might be a good choice in your own case. They will also be able to tell you about the medical negligence claims time limit that will apply, and also give you an estimate of how much you might be able to claim (even if you already have a rough idea after using an online personal injury claims calculator).
Do I Need To Use A Medical Negligence Solicitor In Oldham?
There is no legal requirement for you to use local area medical negligence solicitors to handle your claim for you. You are free to use any solicitor that you wish; the location is immaterial. A much more important driver than location is how suitable the solicitor would be to process your claim. The best idea is to choose the legal firm that would have the best chance of being successful, and securing you the most compensation for your case. You can use email, webchat, Skype, etc. to keep in touch with your solicitor, regardless of where they are based in the UK.
We Have A Panel Of Doctors In Oldham Who Could Assess Your Injuries
One of the main components of any claim for medical negligence is to obtain an independent medical assessment from an impartial doctor. The results of this examination can be submitted to prove the extent of your injury or illness. We work with a panel of doctors and can arrange for you to undergo a local medical examination in Oldham. Some of our panel of doctors in your area include:
|11 Queen Street
|Sports Physio UK
|41B Market Street, Shaw
|1 John Street
Should I Read Reviews Of Medical Negligence Solicitors?
If you can find a website that has published plenty of impartial medical negligence solicitor reviews, then you could use the information on this website to begin crafting a shortlist of potential legal firms that might be suitable. If you decide to undertake this task, be sure to make a note of information such as:
- Whether the review is still fresh enough to be useful.
- Whether the review covers a claim that is similar to your own.
- Did the solicitor work under a Conditional Fee Agreement (CFA)?
- If they did, how much did they charge as a percentage of the settlement?
- Was the review generally positive?
Facts like these can be compared across a number of reviews and will help you to select the most positive, relevant reviews, and thus a potential legal firm to handle your claim. This process will still take time, though. We can offer you a much simpler alternative. Speak to a member of our team, who will explain what a claims service is, and how using one might be the best way to have your claim processed.
Medical Negligence Claims In Oldham Our Team Could Handle
There are many kinds of negligence that our panel of medical negligence solicitors could assist people in making using a No Win No Fee agreement. However, something that you need to understand, is that you must have suffered harm, whether that be psychological or physical in order to be eligible to claim.
- A surgeon slips with a scalpel, causing an injury to the patient.
- A mother or baby is injured during childbirth, due to the negligence of a nurse attending them.
- An accident on a hospital ward, caused by negligence, that injures a patient.
- A resident in a care home comes to harm, because one of the care staff carried out their duties in a negligent manner.
- A dentist injures a patient with the drill while performing a dental procedure.
- A serious illness such as cancer is misdiagnosed or wrongly diagnosed, causing the patient’s condition to worsen due to the delay in receiving proper treatment.
- A GP makes a mistake and does not refer a patient for the correct treatment, causing their condition to go untreated.
When medical negligence occurs in an operating theatre, the results can be catastrophic for the patient. For example:
- The surgeon makes a bad incision, and this causes the patient to suffer unnecessary injuries.
- The anaesthetist administers the wrong amount of anaesthetic, causing illness or even death.
- Post-op care is lax, and this leads to the patient contracting a life-threatening infection such as Sepsis.
Negligence During Childbirth
During a birth, medical negligence can cause injuries to the baby, the mother, or even both of them. Such injuries can range from fairly minor to death in extreme cases. Injuries caused by childbirth negligence could include:
- Injuries to the baby –scarring, disfigurement, brain damage, and medical conditions such as Cerebral Palsy or Hypoxia.
- Injuries to the mother, scarring, soft tissue injuries, damage to the pelvis, perineal tears, etc..
If injuries such as these are sustained due to negligence, then there could be a valid cause to make a claim. Our panel of expert medical negligence solicitors are not based in Oldham but could cover the area with ease.
Negligence In An NHS Or Private Hospital
There are many ways that a person can come to harm due to negligence at a hospital, that could lead to NHS compensation payouts or private healthcare payout. For example:
- Surgical errors harming a patient.
- Inadequate supervision and care in a hospital ward, leading to a patient being injured.
- Wrongly prescribed medication leading to an allergic reaction or illness.
- Poorly applied treatments (such as bandages, or a plaster cast) that cause the injury to worsen.
Neglect In A Care Home
Every nursing and care home is legally obliged to provide residents with a safe environment. The level of care expected to be provided is enforced through multiple levels of legislation. However, sometimes, compliance protocols fail, and this leads to the care level dropping, ultimately resulting in harm to a resident. When this occurs, it could be possible for the victim to claim for nursing home care negligence. Typical examples of neglect in a care home could be;
- Staff members failing to abide by the correct lifting techniques causing injuries to residents, such as a fracture.
- The failure to turn a bed-bound patient, resulting in bedsores.
Misdiagnosis Of Cancer And Other Diseases
Cancer requires rapid treatment, using methods such as chemotherapy or radiotherapy in order for the patient to have the best chance of survival. In breast cancer cases if treatment was delayed due to a negligent misdiagnosis or late diagnosis, the patient’s life might have been put at risk, due to the tumour growing during the time period the treatment was negligently delayed. In this case, it could be possible for the victim to make a claim for any unnecessary suffering.
Dental medical negligence cases could exist whenever a dentist, or a dental nurse, hygienist or any other member of staff within a dental surgery causes avoidable harm to a patient through a negligent act. For example, negligence can cause injuries such as:
- Damage to the jawbone.
- Damage to, or an infection of the gum.
- The loss of otherwise healthy teeth.
- Cuts, bruising and facial scarring.
Injuries like these that are the result of negligence, could be the basis of a medical negligence compensation claim. As previously mentioned, we work with a panel of medical negligence solicitors who are not based in Oldham but can cover the area with ease and can help you to make a dental negligence claim.
GP’s are expected to have a broad knowledge of many medical conditions, illnesses, diseases, injuries so that they can assess a patient’s condition and provide medication or treatment when necessary. In cases of serious illnesses or diseases or where conditions need to be confirmed with diagnostic testing referring patients to specialists.
When a GP fails in either of these two duties when it would have been reasonably expected that they could have fulfilled their duty, and this results in the patient suffering unnecessary harm, then it could be possible to make a medical negligence claim. You can read more about the different types of GP negligence by clicking the link at the bottom of this guide.
Medical Negligence Statistics For NHS Trusts In Lancashire
The table below, gives details of the occurrences of negligence in the Oldham region:
|Claims Received (2017-18)
|Number of Incidents (2017-2018)
|Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
|Lancashire Care NHS Foundation Trust
All data for this table was taken from: NHS Trust claims data 2017-2018
No Win No Fee Medical Negligence Solicitors Covering Oldham
When you use a team of No Win No Fee solicitors to process your claim for you, the personal injury solicitor will not charge a fee to start your claim, or while they are processing it for you. They also won’t charge a fee if you are unsuccessful. They will deduct their fee automatically from any compensation they receive and this is capped at 25%. If you would like to know more about the benefits of using a No Win No Fee agreement, please contact one of our legal advisors using the contact information contained in this guide.
Hospitals In Oldham
- Royal Oldham Hospital
- Pennine Acute Hospitals NHS Trust
Tameside and Glossop Integrated Care NHS Foundation Trust
Contact Our Team
Do you believe you have valid grounds to make a medical negligence claim? Do you need a good medical negligence solicitor to process your claim for you? If so, speak to a member of our team on 0800 652 3087. You can also fill this online contact form in and one of our advisors will aim to contact you as soon as possible. They will explain how a claims service can help.
You may find these external links to have useful information:
Rochdale Rd, Oldham, OL1 2JH.
These other guides on this site may also be of use:
Written by Mac.
Edited by Charlotte.