When making an important decision such as which medical negligence lawyer to use, where do you turn for advice? If you’re looking for medical negligence solicitors in Stourbridge, do you ask friends, do you read medical negligence solicitor’s reviews, or do you take a look at this handy guide? Well, as you’re here now, why not take a look at our advice on what to look for when choosing medical negligence experts?
Our panel of medical negligence solicitors are not based in Stourbridge but can cover the Stourbridge area and we could be able to assist you in making a claim. If you’d like to discuss this further, please call our team on 0800 652 3087.
If you’d rather find out more first, then continue reading.
Choose A Section
- How Best To Choose A Solicitor For Your Medical Negligence Claim
- Compare Different Solicitors Through Reading Reviews
- Could I Use A Solicitor From Outside My Area?
- Injuries May Be Assessed In The Stourbridge Or West Midlands Area
- Cases Of Clinical Negligence In Stourbridge Which Your Could Claim For
- General Practice / GP Medical Negligence
- Childbirth Injuries And Midwife Negligence
- Surgical Medical Negligence
- Stourbridge Care Home Negligence
- Misdiagnosed Or Late Diagnosed Cancer Claims
- Dental Medical Negligence Claims
- Hospital Medical Negligence
- Data On Medical Claims Against The Dudley Group NHS Trust
- Hospitals In The Stourbridge Area
- No Win No Fee Solicitors In Medical Law
- Contact Us To Start Your Claim
- Helpful Resources
How Best To Choose A Solicitor For Your Medical Negligence Claim
Before choosing the best medical negligence solicitor to help you make a claim, it might be an idea to check the criteria that is required to help you make a successful medical negligence claim. The checks a solicitor in medical law will usually make are:
- Did you receive some form of substandard treatment or care from a medical professional such as a doctor, nurse, surgeon, dentist or care nurse?
- And did that substandard care lead to an avoidable injury or illness, or was your existing condition made worse?
Once you’ve determined that both of these are true, you could begin a personal injury claim.
Throughout this guide, we’ll provide examples of negligence that could lead to a claim that might be taken on by Stourbridge negligence solicitors. Whether it be NHS negligence or a private healthcare provider, our panel of expert medical negligence solicitors could help.
We’ll provide evidence as to why you don’t need to limit your search to medical negligence solicitors in Stourbridge too so that you give yourself as many options as possible to find the right solicitor to help you.
When you’ve read this guide, if you have any questions regarding making a claim, please contact our team of specialist advisors who’ll happily provide free legal advice on what steps you need to take to begin a claim.
Compare Different Solicitors Through Reading Reviews
Reading independent reviews of personal injury solicitors could be a good place to start your search as it’ll give you an indication of how happy previous clients were with compensation amounts and the frequency of updates they received.
However, we think it is far more constructive to pick up the phone and speak with a solicitor once you’ve narrowed down your search. By speaking to a personal injury lawyer directly you can ask as many questions as you like about the way they’ll work, what compensation they think they can achieve for you and ask if they could provide you with examples of similar cases they’ve taken on recently.
Could I Use A Solicitor From Outside My Area?
Many people think that “I need to use medical negligence solicitors in my area”, when in fact there is absolutely no need to. If anything, you could be limiting your choices by taking this approach.
Choosing a solicitor because they specialise in medical negligence claims and have plenty of experience doing so could prove far more beneficial than picking a solicitor because they are local.
Our panel of medical negligence solicitors can cover the Stourbridge area with all communication done over the phone, email and in the post, so there’s no need for any face to face meetings.
The only part of the claim you’ll need to meet with somebody is the medical assessment. That’s why we have a panel of medical specialists across the UK who will undertake any assessment locally so that you don’t need to travel far.
Injuries May Be Assessed In The Stourbridge Or West Midlands Area
In order to make a claim for medical negligence, you are required to undergo an independent medical assessment. The prognosis of your injuries will form the basis of the evidence used for your compensation claim. We work with a panel of doctors who are located close to the Stourbridge area:
Richard John Whitehouse,
Health Lane Consulting Rooms,
7 Health Lane,
Stourbridge, DY8 1RF.
Cases Of Clinical Negligence In Stourbridge Which Your Could Claim For
Next, we’re going to look at some of the different types of medical negligence which might lead to compensation claims. This list isn’t conclusive, so if you don’t see circumstances that are similar to yours we could still help. So please give our team a call to discuss the details of your case.
General Practice / GP Medical Negligence
GP’s are usually our first point of contact within the NHS and have the skills to diagnose most everyday illnesses. If they suspect anything more serious, they have procedures in place to refer patients to a specialist.
In some cases, though, GPs can make mistakes which cause their patient to suffer unneccessary harm. In these cases, compensation claims against the GP might be possible. Some examples include:
- If a patient is made ill because of side-effects after being prescribed the wrong medicine or strength of medicine.
- When a GP fails to diagnose a condition, which causes the patients condition to become worse due to a lack of treatment.
- Or if the patient’s condition becomes worse because the doctor diagnosed the wrong problem which mean the wrong treatment was administered.
Childbirth Injuries And Midwife Negligence
Medical professionals responsible for any stage of childbirth are specially trained so that they know how to deal with most circumstances no matter how complex they are. From straightforward births to those where an unexpected problem occurs, the staff should know what procedures to follow to ensure the safety of both mother and baby.
If either are injured due to a mistake, a problem not being spotted, or the wrong procedure being followed then a claim for compensation might be possible.
Some examples of childbirth injuries include:
- Fractured collarbones (baby).
- Preventable tears of fissures (mother).
- Bruising caused by forceps (baby).
- Complications which lead to pain and suffering due to poor suturing following a Cesarean section (mother).
- Cerebral Palsy caused by asphyxiation (baby).
Surgical Medical Negligence
Surgeon’s will often spend time with a patient, prior to surgery, to explain any risks associated with the procedure they are about to undertake. This is the same in medical treatment and cosmetic procedures. Even if the patient signs a consent form, a claim for compensation could be possible if they sustain an injury during surgery because of a negligent act by the surgeon or surgical team.
Some examples of surgical negligence include:
- Injuries caused to organs that weren’t being operated on.
- Pain and suffering caused by surgical items being left inside the patient.
- Any pain suffered because a patient woke up due to an anaesthetic error.
- Or if the patient suffers pain and requires more treatment because an ineffective or faulty clip failed following the operation.
Stourbridge Care Home Negligence
Care and nursing homes are governed by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) who have written safety procedures for care homes that must be adhered to. When residents are injured due to poor or unsafe care, the HSE investigates the care home.
If staff in a care home are negligent and that negligence results in a resident suffering, then a compensation claim might be possible. Some examples include:
- Any suffering caused by abuse in a care home.
- An illness caused by medication not being dispensed at the right intervals.
- Injuries such as bed sores caused by a lack of regular movement.
- Any injury caused following a fall while staff attempted an incorrect lifting or moving techniques.
Misdiagnosed Or Late Diagnosed Cancer Claims
With many types of cancer these days, the prognosis for a cancer patient is greatly improved the sooner cancer is spotted. If it is spotted at the earliest opportunity, treatment can begin quickly and, in many cases, the cancer can be cured or managed.
Therefore, in cases where the diagnosis is late, or the cancer is diagnosed as something else, a patient’s chances of survival could be reduced, or could result in further and more intensive treatment.
In cases where a patient suffers due to a late cancer diagnosis, compensation might be possible for any undue pain or suffering. If you have suffered due to cancer medical neglige, please call to discuss your circumstances further.
Dental Medical Negligence Claims
Dentists, dental nurses, and hygienists all have a duty of care regards to their patient’s safety and well being during treatment or procedures. In cases where patients suffer new injuries or their existing problem is made worse because of a negligent act, it could be possible to claim compensation.
This could be because the dentist failed to follow the correct procedures, used the wrong surgical equipment or performed a procedure that wasn’t required.
Hospital Medical Negligence
Generally, when you attend a hospital for any form of treatment, you expect your condition to get better or for your symptoms to be reduced. You wouldn’t expect to sustain a new illness, suffer an injury or your condition to become worse following the treatment.
But, in cases where this does happen, and it happens because of a mistake, procedural error, a failure to spot a problem or another negligence act, then a claim against the hospital could be possible.
Some examples include:
- Patients becoming ill because they contract MRSA due to hygiene issues.
- Any injury caused by a surgical error.
- Illnesses caused by incorrect medicines being dispensed.
- Any suffering caused by a late or misdiagnosis.
Data On Medical Claims Against The Dudley Group NHS Trust
The table below outlines the compensation paid by the NHS trust in the Stourbridge area between 2017 and 2018:
|Claims in 2017/2018
(*means less the 5)
|Number of Incidents 2017/2018
(*means less the 5)
|Dudley & Walsall Mental Health Partnership Trust
|Dudley Group NHS Foundation Trust (The)
Hospitals In The Stourbridge Area
As our panel of medical negligence solicitors can cover the Stourbridge area, we’ve listed some of the major hospitals in the region for your information.
- Russells Hall Hospital.
- Corbett Hospital.
- Kidderminster Hospital.
- West Midlands Hospital.
- Ramsay Healthcare UK.
No Win No Fee Solicitors In Medical Law
Our panel of expert medical negligence solicitors all offer a no win no fee agreement for all cases they take on. This makes claiming for medical negligence much less risky because:
- There are no solicitor’s fees to pay upfront to begin your claim.
- If your claim is unsuccessful, you will not need to pay for your solicitors services.
- And if they do win the claim, you won’t have to find the funds to pay them yourself as their success fee is taken from the compensation.
Contact Us To Start Your Claim
Now that you’ve read this guide, if you’d like to let us help you make a claim, you can get in touch by calling 0800 652 3087 today or you could also fill in this online form and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
To assist you further, we’ve listed some more useful resources below:
Russells Hall Hospital
Dudley, DY1 2HQ.
Inspection Report – The most recent hospital report by the Care Quality Commission.
Birth Injury Claims – A detailed look at what birth injuries can occur and when they could lead to a compensation claim.
MRSA Compensation – This guide has more information about what causes MRSA and when it could result in compensation.
Dental Negligence – This is a guide for those who have suffered harmful negligence as a result of medical professionals.
Written by Brett.
Edited by Charlotte.