Have you suffered medical negligence in Sutton and are you looking or personal injury solicitors based in the Sutton area? If so, we have created this guide to help you. Included in it are some tips on how to find a good legal team. We will then move on to cover many of the kinds of negligence that a patient could be eligible to make a claim for.
You likely have unique questions related to your own claim. For this reason, we recommend you speak to one of our claim advisors on 0800 652 3087. They will answer any questions that you have, and explain how our panel of medical negligence solicitors can cover the Sutton area.
Choose A Section:
- How To Pick A Medical Claims Specialist
- Will I Need To Claim Through A Local Solicitor?
- Your Injuries Or Illness May Be Assessed In Your Local Area
- When Are Reviews Of Solicitors Helpful?
- Examples Of Clinical And Medical Negligence In Sutton
- Harmful Surgical Errors
- Harmful Mistakes In Childbirth
- Negligence In Hospitals And Clinics
- Dental Negligence
- Care Home Neglect Claims
- Mistakes By A GP Doctor Negligence
- Wrongful Treatment Or Diagnosis Of Cancer
- Hospitals Serving The Borough Of Sutton
- Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust Negligence Data
- What Does No Win No Fee Mean To Me?
- Contacting Our Team
- Helpful Information
How To Pick A Medical Claims Specialist
Firstly, you want to find a good legal team to handle a medical/clinical negligence claim for you and if you have never dealt with a solicitor before, you might feel this is quite a daunting task. The good news is, there are a few approaches that you can take in order to help your decision making process. Some of which can include;
- Speaking to your friends, family or co-workers to see if they have used personal injury lawyers who specialise in medical negligence.
- Asking your social connections on social media sites for their opinions and recommendations.
- You could also use an online reviews site to make a shortlist of solicitors.
Of course, steps such as these won’t remove all the effort. Fortunately, we have an option that does. Speak to a member of our claims team, and they will explain how we can match you to our panel of expert medical negligence solicitors who can assist you in making a claim. They will also tell you which medical negligence claims time limit will apply, and could also give you a rough estimate of how much you could be able to claim (you might also be able to use a personal injury claims calculator to find this out).
Will I Need To Claim Through A Local Solicitor?
If you have been the victim of Clinical negligence in the Borough of Sutton, there is no legal requirement for you to use a local legal firm. So, the answer to the questions, must I use a medical negligence solicitors in my area? then the answer is no, not unless there is some compelling reason to do so. A much more important factor when choosing a solicitor, is how knowledgeable they are in claims similar to yours and whether they have a good chance of bringing your claim to a successful resolution.
Your Injuries Or Illness May Be Assessed In Your Local Area
In order to make a successful personal injury claim for medical negligence the onus is on the claimant to prove that they were avoidably injured as a result of the actions or omissions of health care providers. Therefore, you will need to undergo an impartial medical assessment with an independent medical expert. This report will then be used as the base of your claim. We work with a panel of doctors who cover the Sutton area, this means that if you choose to go through our panel of medical negligence solicitors, they will aim to provide you with an assessment venue as close to you as possible.
|Sutton Sports Physio
|The Sports Village
|181 Carshalton Road
|Sutton Medical Centre
|181 Carshalton Road
When Are Reviews Of Solicitors Helpful?
You might be able to find a website that has published some useful medical negligence solicitor reviews. If you can, you can use these reviews to generate a shortlist of possible solicitors. To do this, compare information such as:
- Was the review positive?
- How old is the review?
- Is the review discussing a claim similar to yours?
- Was the claim a success?
- How much was charged in legal fees?
Of course, this is going to take some time, comparing all of the reviews. We can offer you a much simpler, quicker option and that is to a member of our claims team who will explain how our panel of expert medical negligence solicitors can help you make a claim.
Examples Of Clinical And Medical Negligence In Sutton
There are many ways that Greater London clinical negligence can lead to a patient being harmed. In order to prove you have a valid claim for medical negligence, the negligent act or omission of a health care professional must have actually caused harm in some way or another. Examples of such are;
- Mistakes made during childbirth, causing avoidable and potentially life altering injuring the mother or her baby.
- Errors made my hospital staff, meaning a patient has suffered adverse side effects, or further injury.
- Mistakes made by a dentist, harming a patient that is undergoing a dental procedure.
- Abuse by care home staff while in charge of residential care, resulting in malnutrition.
- Misdiagnosis’ made by a GP, causing a patient’s health to suffer further.
- Mistakes made in the diagnosis of cancer, leading to the cancer victim’s condition becoming worse.
Harmful Surgical Errors
To answer the question, what is proof of clinical negligence? we could say that proof of clinical negligence would be that a doctor failed in their duty of care, and this has caused undue harm to a patient. For example, a patient undergoing surgery could be harmed through negligent acts such as:
- A surgeon performing wrong sited surgery, resulting in the removal of healthy limbs.
- Forceps, swabs or other surgical implements are left inside a patient causing avoidable infection.
- Too much, or the wrong anaesthetic is administered, causing an adverse reaction in the patient.
Harmful Mistakes In Childbirth
A mother or a baby can be put at additional risk, when a nurse or the midwife makes a mistake during childbirth. This can result in injuries such as:
- Rushed birthing process that causes stress and injuries to the baby resulting in, cuts, bruises, fractures, permanent scarring or hypoxia-related conditions such as Cerebral Palsy.
- Injuries to the mother can include – cuts, bruises, fractures, permanent scarring, soft tissue injuries, perineal tears and failure to notice Pre -eclampisa
Negligence In Hospitals And Clinics
Lack of hospital funding could mean that staff are over worked and under trained and this can mean that unfortunately, there are lots of ways that Sutton hospital negligence could result in an injury to a patient or member of the public, for example:
- A patient is harmed due to being exposed to a dangerous chemical or radiation during testing or treatment.
- A patient’s injury becomes worse, due to ineffective treatment being administered.
- A patient is given the wrong medication or dose of medication, causing an allergic or adverse reaction.
All staff in a dentist surgery, are required to fulfill a duty of care towards patients at all times which is never to cause them unnecessary and undue harm. When mistakes are made, a medical negligence solicitor could be able to process a claim for injuries such as:
- Broken or damage to teeth that were healthy before the procedure
- Gum and mouth infections as a result of improper hygiene standards.
- Scarring and disfigurement.
Care Home Neglect Claims
Every member of staff in a care or nursing home in the UK, is legally obliged to comply with all Health & Safety directive and legislation related to looking after residents in their care. These rules and regulations are in place to protect residents from harm. Unfortunately at times, lapses can and do happen, and the care level drops and causes adverse health consequences for the resident. When this results in harm to a resident, it could be possible for injured parties to make care home neglect claims.An example of which could include, failure to monitor or correctly administer medication which has led to a resident suffering undue side effects. Further to this, a resident could suffer a fall or even a fracture if staff fail to use to correct lifting techniques. If you or a family member have suffered as a result of negligence in a care home, please contact us to discuss your circumstances and how we can help.
Mistakes By A GP Doctor Negligence
Your GP is your first port of call when you are sick. Your GP follows a code of conduct that means that if their standard of care drops below what is reasonably expected of them, and you have suffered undue health consequences as a result then you could be eligible for a medical negligence claim. Typically, a GP is supposed to either diagnose an illness and then treat it, or if they cannot treat it, refer you to a specialist who can. If this is not done, and an error is made by the doctor then this could lead to a patient going without proper treatment and having life changing heath consequences as a result.
Wrongful Treatment Or Diagnosis Of Cancer
When lapses in cancer care occur, such as the wrongful treatment of cancer, the patient’s medical condition can deteriorate, in extreme cases to a level when survival is not an achievable outcome. A misdiagnosis or a late diagnosis could be seen a severe medical negligence. At the very least, it will mean that the patient will need to undergo more treatment than they would have if the diagnosis had been made within a reasonable timescale. With aggressive treatments such as radiotherapy and chemotherapy, this can mean that the patient has to suffer more than they should have. In cases such as this, where negligence caused their health to suffer, it could be possible for them to make a claim.
Hospitals Serving The Borough Of Sutton
- St Hellier Hospital.
- The Royal Marsden Hospital (Surrey).
- The Malvern Hospital (Sutton Hospital).
- Spire St Anthony’s Hospital.
- Kingston Hospital
Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust Negligence Data
The table below shows data related to Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust negligence:
|Claims Received (2017/18)
|Number of Incidents (2017/18)
|Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust
Data for this table was taken from the following online resource:
What Does No Win No Fee Mean To Me?
Our panel of medical negligence solicitors offer No Win No Fee agreements in situations where medical negligence occurs. This means that if you have a valid claim and it is unsuccessful, you will not have to pay any of your solicitors fees and if successful, only a small amount of your compensation will be deducted.
Contacting Our Team
Have you been the victim of private healthcare or NHS negligence? Do you need some good online legal advice, or help finding a personal injury lawyer to process your claim for you? If so, speak to one of our claim advisors on 0800 652 3087. They will explain how our claims service could be the perfect way for you to have your claim managed.
These external links could be useful:
These other guides may also be of some use:
The Royal Marsden Hospital London
203 Fulham Rd
Opening hours: 24 hours.
Edited by Charlotte.