In this guide, as well as helping you choose the best medical negligence solicitor to help you with your case, we’ll provide other important information such as the medical negligence claims time limit, explaining how you prove medical negligence and the types of cases medical negligence solicitors could take on. If you’ve been looking for medical negligence solicitors in Runcorn, then this guide could prove very useful in your search.
If you’d like to discuss a claim today, then call us on 0800 652 3087 as our panel of medical negligence solicitors are not based in Runcorn but can cover the Runcorn area and might be able to help you.
If you’d prefer to learn more prior to claiming, then please carry on reading.
Choose A Section
- A Guide To Choosing The Right Medical Claims Solicitor
- Could I Choose A Solicitor Outside My Local Area?
- We Work With A Panel Of Doctors Who Could Assess Your Injuries In The Runcorn Area
- Reviews Could Help You Compare Solicitors Services
- Examples Of Cases Medical Negligence Solicitors Could Help You Make
- Dental Medical Or Clinical Negligence
- Surgery Medical Negligence
- Birth Injuries And Negligence By A Midwife
- Nursing Home Neglect Or Negligence
- Cancer Misdiagnosis Claims
- Injuries Caused By A GP
- Injuries Caused By Hospital Negligence
- Data For Medical Negligence Claims Made Against NHS Trusts In Warrington and Halton
- Hospitals Serving The Runcorn Area
- No Win No Fee Medical Malpractice Lawyers
- Start Your Medical Claim Today
- Helpful References
A Guide To Choosing The Right Medical Claims Solicitor
Some key information you’ll need before deciding on which medical negligence lawyer to use is the definition of medical negligence. A solicitor offering a no win no fee service will usually want to prove the following before offering to take the case on:
- You received substandard treatment from a medical specialist including doctors, nurses, surgeons, cosmetic surgeons, dentists and care home staff.
- And that following the treatment, you sustained an injury, illness or your condition was made worse.
Following this, you’ll need to ensure your claim falls within the 3-year time limit which governs all claims in the UK. There are exceptions to this time limit, so please contact one of our legal advisors to discuss your circumstances.
Once all of the above has been established, you’ll need to look at which solicitor you should use. You could simply contact us and let us put you in touch with one of our panel of expert medical negligence solicitors as they have years of experience and specialise in these types of claims.
Could I Choose A Solicitor Outside My Local Area?
These days, there is no reason to pick a solicitor because of their office location. During the claim process, communication is carried out by email, telephone and sometimes the postal service. So this means, where your solicitor is based really doesn’t matter.
What’s more important is that they specialise in medical negligence claims and that they can demonstrate cases similar to yours that they’ve taken on recently and won.
We Work With A Panel Of Doctors Who Could Assess Your Injuries In The Runcorn Area
Although your solicitor doesn’t need to be in the Runcorn area, we believe that it’s much easier if you can undergo a medical assessment locally. That’s why we work with a panel of doctors in and around Runcorn who could help assess the extent of your injuries. Here are a few of the specialists we could use:
The Heath Business and Technical Centre,
Runcorn, WA7 4QX.
27 Wilson Patten Street,
Warrington, WA1 1PG.
Reviews Could Help You Compare Solicitors Services
Reviews can be a great starting point when choosing a medical negligence solicitor. They can give an insight into how happy previous clients were with the professionalism of the solicitor, the frequency of updates they received, and the amount of compensation paid to them.
After you’ve reduced your list of solicitors down though, we’d recommend you speak to the solicitor over the telephone to discuss how they’ll manage your case, how they work and what amount of compensation they estimate you could receive.
Examples Of Cases Medical Negligence Solicitors Could Help You Make
Dental Medical Or Clinical Negligence
When you attend a dental surgery for a check-up or any form of procedure, the dentist and their staff have a duty of care to ensure you remain safe while in their care.
This means that they should follow standard procedures, use the correct equipment and maintain hygiene standards wherever possible. Any deviation from the correct procedures, errors or mistakes which lead to the patient becoming injured could lead to a claim being made against the dentist.
- When a patient suffers damage to teeth, nerves or gums during a procedure.
- If the patient suffers pain because they underwent a procedure which wasn’t required (possibly due to a misdiagnosis).
- If an infection is sustained because of poor hygiene standards.
Surgery Medical Negligence
It’s quite well known that most surgical procedures have some risks associated with them. The level of risk can be high or low depending on the complexity of the operation and even though the surgeon may explain the risks, you could claim compensation if you become injured following surgery because of any mistake, procedural error or other form of neglect.
If you’ve suffered any form of injury, become ill or had your condition made worse because of a surgical mistake, then please get in touch to discuss whether you might be able to claim.
Birth Injuries And Negligence By A Midwife
Midwives and other medical professionals involved in pregnancy and the delivery of babies go through years of training to ensure they know how to deal with both standard and complex deliveries should either, or, occur.
If a midwife, nurse, doctor or paediatrician fail to spot a problem or deal with it in a non-standard way, and this causes the mother or baby to suffer an injury, then a claim for compensation might be possible.
Examples of injuries to a baby during childbirth can include:
- Fractures to bones including the collarbone.
- Brain injuries caused due to the improper use of forceps.
- Serious conditions like Cerebral Palsy caused by a lack of oxygen.
Nursing Home Neglect Or Negligence
Care or nursing homes have to adapt to the care of each resident that they look after to meet their specific needs to ensure their safety at all times by following standard procedures. If the procedures aren’t followed and this leads to the patient becoming injured or ill, then claiming compensation could be possible.
If a loved one is injured when they are a resident in a care home and you’d like to discuss making a claim, then please call to discuss the details with one of our legal advisors.
Examples of care home negligence could include:
- A Bedbound resident suffering from bedsores (or pressure sores) because they’ve not been moved regularly.
- If a patient suffers bruising, sprains or fractures because they fell while being moved.
- Illnesses caused by medication not being dispensed on time.
- Any suffering caused by cases of care home abuse.
Cancer Misdiagnosis Claims
The prognosis for a cancer patient can be greatly reduced it their condition isn’t diagnosed as early as possible. This might be because the patient didn’t visit a doctor or hospital as soon as they could’ve done, in which case, a claim for compensation is not possible.
However, if a patient visits their GP or hospital because they’re worried about their symptoms and overall health and the cancer isn’t spotted when it could’ve been, then the patient could be entitled to compensation if they’ve suffered because they didn’t receive treatment quickly enough.
Injuries Caused By A GP
The first thing many of us do when we have a health concern is to visit our local GP surgery. In many cases, even though the GP only has a short amount of time with each patient, they manage to diagnose the problem, suggest treatment or refer the patient to a specialist which results in the problem being resolved.
In some cases, however, when the GP makes a mistake, the patient can end up suffering more than they would’ve done had the mistake not happened. In these cases, claims for compensation may be possible.
Examples, where GP negligence could lead to a claim, include:
- Where a patient’s condition is made worse because of a misdiagnosis or late diagnosis of a condition.
- If a GP prescribes the wrong medication or dosage which causes their patient to suffer an illness or side effects.
Injuries Caused By Hospital Negligence
When you attend a hospital for treatment, you’d usually expect your health to improve or your symptoms to leave entirely. In some cases, though, where staff at a hospital make a mistake, don’t follow the standard guidance or are negligent for any other reason, and the patient suffers because of this, then it is possible that a claim could be made against the NHS trust that operates the hospital.
Some examples of hospital negligence cases include:
- When a patient suffers an injury following a negligent act during surgery.
- Suffering or illnesses caused by a late or misdiagnosis of a condition.
- Illnesses caused because the immune system is weakened by superbugs such as MRSA.
- Side effects or illness caused because the wrong medicine is dispensed within the hospital.
Data For Medical Negligence Claims Made Against NHS Trusts In Warrington and Halton
The data in the table below (which came from this NHS factsheet) shows all of the compensation payments made by the NHS trust responsible for hospitals and surgeries in the Warrington and Halton area:
|Healthcare Provider||Claims in 2017/2018||Number of Incidents 2017/2018||Damages Payments|
|Warrington and Halton Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust||50||14||£4,824,203|
Hospitals Serving The Runcorn Area
Below, we have listed the main hospital serving the Runcorn area:
- Halton General Hospital
- Victoria Infirmary
- Hollins Park
- Newton Community Hospital
- Whiston Hospital
- Spire Cheshire
- Virgin Care
If you’ve suffered any form of hospital negligence at any of these establishments or any Runcorn medical centre our panel of expert medical negligence solicitors could help you claim. Please get in touch to discuss beginning a claim.
No Win No Fee Medical Malpractice Lawyers
To make claim less risky and more affordable, many personal injury solicitors offer a no win no fee service if they believe you have a strong case.
Here are the basics of no win no fee services used to make a personal injury claim:
- Firstly, there are no fees to pay before your claim can begin.
- You don’t have to find funds to pay the solicitor if they win the case as their fee is taken directly from your compensation (maximum of 25% by law).
- If your claim is unsuccessful, you do not have to pay any of your solicitors fees.
Start Your Medical Claim Today
Remember, even though you were searching for medical negligence solicitors in Runcorn, we hope we’ve explained how our panel of medical negligence solicitors are not based in Runcorn but can cover the area. If you’d like to discuss making a no win no fee claim today, please get in touch.
To help you further, we’ve linked to some useful articles and external resources below:
Halton General Hospital
Cheshire, WA7 2DA.
Inspection Report – The latest inspection from 2017 rated the hospital as requiring improvement overall.
About NHS England – A guide from the NHS about all of the services, plans and strategies currently in place.
Cancer Misdiagnosis Claims – This guide is a more detailed look at what constitutes cancer misdiagnosis and when it could lead to a claim.
NHS Negligence Claims – A guide about when medical malpractice lawyers might be able to claim for NHS negligence.
GP Claims – While we’ve mentioned GP negligence briefly, this guide provides more information about what types of negligence could be claimed for.
Written by Brett.
Edited by Charlotte.