By Lewis Morrison. Last Updated 10th February 2023. On this page, you will find a guide to using medical negligence solicitors in Glasgow to process a medical negligence claim on your behalf. Below, you will be able to read about many of the ways that clinical negligence happens, and how, when it does, this can lead to a patient being harmed. We will also explain how you could be eligible to claim, and how to go about this.
You might have additional questions, which we have not answered in this guide. If this is true, as all claims are somewhat unique, you can speak to one of our claim advisors on 0800 652 3087. They will explain how our panel of medical negligence solicitors can cover the Glasgow area, and will be able to help you to get the compensation you deserve.
Choose A Section:
- Finding A Specialist Medical Negligence Compensation Solicitor
- Medical Negligence Solicitiors For Glasgow
- Testimonials Of A Solicitor Could Help You Choose Who To Handle Your Claim
- Instances Of Medical Negligence In Glasgow You Could Claim For
- Surgical Negligence Cases
- Obstetrics (Birth) Negligence Claims
- Hospital Negligence Claim
- Nursing Home Medical Negligence
- Cancer Misdiagnosis Claims
- Dental Negligence Complaints And Claims
- GP Negligence Claims
- No Win No Fee – Lawyers For Scotland Based Claims
- Additional References
Finding A Specialist Medical Negligence Compensation Solicitor
Do you need to find a legal team to help you make a medical negligence claim? Are you finding the task rather daunting?
If so, here are a few tips on how to make the task simpler:
- You could try talking to friends and family members, to find out if they have used a personal injury solicitor and they would recommend them.
- Reach out to your co-workers, and ask if any of them has used a medical negligence solicitors that they would recommend for your case.
- Use social networking sites to get recommendations.
- Try and find an online review site, so that you can compare a number of solicitors.
All of these can help you to begin your search for a solicitor. However, each of these could still take some effort. If you simply don’t have the time to go through this process, we can help. Speak to a member of our claims team, and they will be able to explain how our claims service can match you with the right solicitor to process your claim for you. You will learn how our panel of expert medical negligence solicitors can assist you, as well as providing you with important information such as also important such the medical negligence claims time limit, and also how much you could potentially claim (even if you already tried to find this out using a personal injury claims calculator).
When figuring out the best lawyer for you, we recommend choosing someone based on their experience and the quality of the work. You can use online reviews and free consultations to help you make this decision. Your choices are not limited to solicitors based in Glasgow.
You may consider seeking lawyers based on their proximity to you. However, lawyers based anywhere in the country can support you. You can communicate with a lawyer using calls, video calls and emails.
Our advisers could help you no matter where you are based in the country. They can provide a free consultation and even potentially put your through to one expert No Win No Fee lawyers for your Glasgow based claim. Please reach out to one now to see if our services right for you.
Testimonials Of A Solicitor Could Help You Choose Who To Handle Your Claim
If you can find a good website that has plenty of medical negligence solicitor reviews published, this could be a good place to start your search for a legal team. If you do decide to go use the reviews to base your opinion below you will find some tips that we think are useful when distinguishing the genuine reviews from the not so genuine ones;
- How long ago the review was published.
- The kind of claim the review relates to.
- If the claim was successful or not.
- If the reviewer had a good experience.
- How much the solicitor charged.
Facts like these can be compared across reviews, to create a shortlist of possible legal firms to use. If you simply do not have the time to go through comparing reviews, we can help. Use the number at the end of the page to speak to one of our claims team, they will explain to you how we can match you to one of our panel of solicitors through our claim service.
Instances Of Medical Negligence In Glasgow You Could Claim For
There are many forms of medical negligence Glasgow residents could be harmed by. The key fact here, is that regardless of how the negligence occurred, the victim must have suffered some form of harm in order for them to be eligible to claim. For example:
- A mistake is made during an operation, and this leads to the patient being injured.
- Errors made during childbirth, that harm the mother or baby.
- Accidents due to negligence at a hospital injuring a member of the public.
- Negligent care in a nursing home results in a resident being harmed.
- Wrongful diagnosis causes a cancer patient’s condition to worsen.
- A dentist injures a patient while carrying out a dental procedure.
- A GP makes a mistake that negatively affects a patient’s health.
Surgical Negligence Cases
Unfortunately, any operation that you may have has risks attached, the scale of which depends on the complexity of the surgical procedure. However, when surgical staff perform their duties in a negligence manner and this causes undue harm and unnecessary consequences for a patient it is classed as medical negligence, examples of such can be found below;
- Anaesthetic is administered negligently, causing an adverse reaction.
- Medical care after the operation is lax, and the patient suffers from an infection.
- Wrong-sited surgery resulting in damage to healthy organs, or even the loss of a healthy limb.
Obstetrics (Birth) Negligence Claims
If a paediatrician, midwife or nurses their high standard of care to slip below what is reasonably expected of them and this causes avoidable consequences to mother, baby, or both then a claim for medical negligence could be made. Typical examples of health care professions failing to provide the duty of care expected of them, whether that be through fault or omission and it has resulted in harm to mother or baby can be seen below.
- The baby:
- Cerebral palsy (and related illnesses).
- Hypoxia, as a result of incorrect use of forceps.
- Permanent scarring, caused by an unnecessarily rushed C-Section
- The mother:
- Death (anaesthetic related).
- Permanent scarring.
- Perineal tears.
- Failure to notice Pre- eclampsia during pregnancy which means that the necessary precautions have not been taken to ensure a healthy mother and baby.
Hospital Negligence Claim
Hospitals are extremely busy, and fast paced environments. This means that all staff are trained to deal with the very demanding and complex nature of the work that is involved. However, sometimes, standards can slip below what is reasonably expected of hospital staff and this can lead to adverse consequences. Below are a few examples of how medical negligence can occur in a hospital;
- Exposure to radiation or harmful chemicals causing health issues.
- Poorly administered treatment causing an injury to heal ineffectively.
- Mistakes made when prescribing medication, causing an allergic or adverse reaction.
There are unfortunately, many more examples of hospital negligence. Therefore if you believe you have suffered as a result of the negligent actions of staff in a Glasgow hospital and it is not on the list, please fill out this form and one of our expert legal advisors will be in contact with you to discuss your options.
Nursing Home Medical Negligence
Each nursing or care home, is legally obliged to comply with all relevant legislation and Health & Safety standards related to keeping residents of the home safe from harm. When compliance protocols begin to fail, then the level of care in the home can drop. This could lead to a resident of the home suffering harm in some way. If negligence can be proven as the cause, then it could be possible to make clinical negligence claims in Scotland for this. Different types of medical negligence in care homes can be found here.
Cancer Misdiagnosis Claims
Serious illnesses such as cancer, rely on the rapid application of treatment to make sure the victim has a good chance of making a full recovery. In the UK we are lucky to have a health care system that works quickly and efficiently in diagnosing cancer at the earliest opportunity. However, on occasion, the standards of medical professionals can fall below what is reasonably expected of them and this can result in negligence. If there is a failure to follow up on test results, or symptoms are missed and diagnosed as something else entirely then this can lead to adverse consequences for the patient. Negligence such as a late diagnosis or a misdiagnosis, can introduce a life-threatening delay in the patient receiving required, critical treatment. When misdiagnosis or late diagnosis causes the patient’s medical condition to deteriorate, then it could be grounds to make a claim for personal injury.
Dental Negligence Complaints And Claims
As a medical professionals, a dentist and members of staff in a dental surgery have a duty of care towards their patients,and that is never to cause them unnecessary harm. When they fail in this duty of care, it can result in injuries ranging from simple cuts and bruises, through the loss of healthy teeth, permanent scarring and fractured bones. If you have attended a dental surgery in Glasgow and you have received negligent care which has caused you avoidable harm then you could be eligible to make a claim for personal injury.
GP Negligence Claims
A GP has a responsibility to either;
a) diagnose and then treat minor medical problems, or
b) diagnose and then refer the patient on for treatment
c) refer any patient whose symptoms they cannot diagnose immediately to a specialist.
When a GP fails in any of these roles and it leads to a patient going without treatment and this results in further undue and unnecessary harm being caused, then it could be possible for the injured party to make a claim against their local GP practice. Please read here, for examples of GP negligence.
You may be concerned about having to pay upfront for medical negligence solicitors in Scotland. However, if you work with medical negligence solicitors in Glasgow on the basis of a No Win No Fee agreement, you usually won’t have to pay an upfront fee or ongoing costs.
As part of the arrangement, if you are awarded compensation, your solicitor deducts a success fee from your settlement. However, the fee they take is legally capped to avoid any excess charges.
Whether you suffered harm from medical negligence in Scotland or elsewhere in the UK, an expert solicitor from our panel could help you on a No Win No Fee basis. We offer free consultations to assess the eligibility of your claim before putting you in touch with a medical negligence solicitor from our panel.
Below are a few ways you can get in touch for more information:
- Ring at any time on 0800 652 3087
- Speak to our online advisors using our free online live chat
- Or contact us to arrange a free call back
These additional references could be of use:
You may also like to read these guides:
Edited by Charlotte.